2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HID Conversion help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010 | 01:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by SpencerS
Ok heres what i found out about HIDs in stock bellhousings

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

They are illegal to put in stock bell housings that were made for halogen bulbs. So I will have to find some HID compliant bellhousings if i wanted to be completely legal. I probably could slip by law enforcement but it is a shoot and miss situation since where i live there is quite a few street racing gangs around.

EDIT: Just the head lights are on and its dimmer than even my low beams.
Ok well I guess its not but Im also running 20% tint which im only aloud 35% and really the cops around me wouldnt even know anything about hid's let alone pulling me over for them. Hey I look at it this way if the cops are on the look out for street racing they arent going to pull you over to check your lights lol. For some reason I thought the running lights were only the fogs but in that case I would say that your hids would be on with them but I know a dealer can disable them not sure of the cost though.

Old 06-24-2010 | 01:28 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

the other issue is that, I am only on PLPD insurance so if i wreck and its not my fault yet the driver whose fault states my HIDs were blinding him, I would lose my case in a heartbeat lol.

I just want to be as legal as possible!

Old 06-24-2010 | 02:05 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

I recant my statement on doin 8k HIDs, they are to bright to be safe. I will prolly go with the 4300s btw

Old 06-24-2010 | 02:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I recant my statement on doin 8k HIDs, they are to bright to be safe. I will prolly go with the 4300s btw
Actually 8k is not as bright as 4300 I think thats the brightest it goes. I have 6k in my truck

Old 06-24-2010 | 02:55 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

ok, so i was thinking of doing this set up.

getting some Clear/Euro Headlight Housings such as these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EAGLE...Q5fAccessories

and then installing the kit you reccomended dodgeramguy. I would assume the fitament would be the same if they are OEM replacements. Do you guys think that those bellhousing would be legal witha HID system? at leasts more so than the stockers?

Old 06-24-2010 | 03:14 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

ok, so i was thinking of doing this set up.

getting some Clear/Euro Headlight Housings such as these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EAGLE...Q5fAccessories

and then installing the kit you reccomended dodgeramguy. I would assume the fitament would be the same if they are OEM replacements. Do you guys think that those bellhousing would be legal witha HID system? at leasts more so than the stockers?

Should be fine. With what you said about illegal in stock halogen lenses This is better than stock but would they still count them as being able to accept halogen lights? I dont know. I say just go for it there is a lot worse people out there doing illegal things than putting hid's in stock lights but if you have the money to get the lenses do it they will make your truck look better since they are not the stock lenses. I wish I had the money to do it.

Old 06-24-2010 | 04:30 PM
thunder98110
Champion

4300 are yellow. 6-8 are white, the blue is like 10k.

nevermind 3k is yellow.

Last edited by thunder98110; 06-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 | 04:39 PM
00dakSport
All Star

spencerS those new lenses look good. i think people don't use the stock lenses cause they scatter the beem, that new housing might do the same. i saw i guy on another site use that lense you linked with the stock houseing and it looked sick. i don't know whats legal so just go with what looks good.

Old 06-24-2010 | 06:17 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

Yea the reason I want these is for that sexy blue look without blinding drivers. 6k is perfect, dodgeramguys look schmexy

Old 06-24-2010 | 06:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Mine actually are not that blue that have bluish tint to them but they are more white light than anything I had those cheap 8k bulbs from ebay before I got my hid kit and they were blue not to blue but about the perfect amount for me im not sure if there would be any difference in hids

They are more white its just hard to tell in a pic
IMG_0222.jpg

Quick Reply: HID Conversion help?