2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota sport stalling...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 AM
katherine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 dakota sport stalling...HELP

truck runs fine while idleing, when I try to drive it shuts off..check engine light comes on and truck goes off...so far I've replaced ECM, Map,IAC and the crankshaft module I've changed all the plugs and flushed the radiator just for grins and giggles but now the on board is giving me a new code...P0700 from what I can gather it means transmission....unless someone knows different....please tell me it isn't so...I'm about ready to drive the truck off a cliff.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know a lot about the automatic transmissions, my Dakota has a 5-speed. But I do know that P0700 is a general code meaning there is a problem with the transmission. The transmission control module can not turn on the CEL. So it has to tell the PCM to set that P0700 general code. You have to get the transmission codes read by a shop that has the specific diagnostic tools for the transmission itself. I would call Aamco or Cottman transmission, or maybe a friend can refer you to a local independent transmission shop, and see if they have the tools to read the TCM. I know Cottman used to have free towing if they fixed the vehicle.

Don't drive the truck off a cliff just yet. There are several external sensors on the transmission, the problem could very well be one of those sensors has gone bad and it may not cost a lot to fix it. If it were an internal problem in the transmission, I would think you would have worse problems and a lot of noise, grinding, etc. from the transmission. Just stalling out would make me think a sensor is bad.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 07-30-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 dakota sport stalling...HELP