2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fog/driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Fog/driving lights

First off, the fogs on my truck are filing up with water on both sides. On a rainy day, they'll be filled up to the bulbs, the next day, they'll have drained themselves. And would repeat at next storm.

I haven't climbed under yet, but is there a known issue where I need to silicone the housing, or could the connector be loose for the bulb?

Second, my friend with an 04 Wrangler (5 speed manual 4x4) has these lights installed on the top of his bumper, he said they're about as bright as his brights, and he flips these on instead of using his brights. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0393&ppt=C0335

But he has the switch for them in the factory Jeep switch panel. So I'm wondering, 1) are they really that bright, 2) How should I wire them, 3) where would I mount them?

I figure i could either run them to a switch, which i would mount who-knows-where, or I could tap into a factory circuit. But because the fogs and low beams turn off when the high beams are on, I'm not really sure where I would wire them. Unless I do the relay mod, and wire the driving lights and fogs together?

As for mounting, I figure I can either put them in the lower grille openings (easier/safer to wire), or I can do them the Ram-way, behind the upper grille. But I think with such small lamps, the behind-the-grille method wouldn't work too well?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:11 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have what appears to be those in the factory spots. The owner before me wired them for the factory switch too. They are bright as hell, and I'm pretty sure those are the same ones as what I have.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:02 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those fog lights are bright. i had them on my truck a while ago. but if your not careful they crack easily from heat and such. mine lasted only a month. and getting them at orielly's instead of advance is actually saving 4$

Quick Reply: Fog/driving lights