2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Darn 42RE...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 159 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Darn 42RE...

I had the trans completely rebuilt in october, the drum, front pump, convertor, clutches were all wasted. was $2600.

Heard what sounded like a pellet gun shot coming home wednesday. Look in the mirror, saw smoke coming out. Pulled over, lo and behold, trans fluid leaking onto the exhaust crossover pipe.

Took it in at noon today. They had it on the lift at 5:00, immediately disagnosed saying it looks to have pushed one of the O-rings or seals out around the convertor nose. They're gonna fix it no charge, warranty.

1. What would cause it to push a seal? It's been 10 months, only 12,000 miles since rebuild. Fluid is full and red.

2. With the shifter all the way down in low (1), I can shut the key off and the entine will still be spinning. I just click the key back to "on" and it'll pick up fire where it left off. The tech was kinda baffled by this, doesn't really know why/how the clutches and convertor are staying locked up with the engine off (thus, no input torque, so convertor should unlock?) It won't do it in (2), D, or OD.

3. Why did Chry cheap out and even make the 42RE? Wouldn't it have been easier to just give everybody the 46RE?

4. When I go to pass on the highway, it's been double downshifting. IE, I'll be doing 55MPH in a 70, I'll go to pass, or to speed up on the on-ramp, and it'll jump to 4800RPM in 2nd to build speed. It completely bypasses 3rd. When I let off to keep it off the rev limiter, it'll hit 3rd briefly and drop straight back to 4th.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 159 Likes on 146 Posts

well, they got the trans pulled. Apparently, the weld on the convertor came apart. What I heard was the chunks of weld banging the bellhousing.

Should get my truck back tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Darn 42RE...