2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2 A/C related issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
fletch33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 A/C related issues?

first of all thanks for providing this forum for help with my Dakota

i have a 2000 Quad Cab 4.7 4X4

1. a few weeks ago i noticed an occasional piece of a small black mesh material that would appear behind my dash vents. it looks like netting or something from a filter that is falling apart but i do not know of any air conditioning system filters for this truck like some cars i have had so i have no idea what it could be. i called a couple of local dealers to see if they had any idea and they had never heard of it either?

here is what it looks like and although mine is only black i think the different colors here help to see what it looks like and if i had to name it i would call it a low density filter.

2. i started up my truck today and had no cold air. i wasnt sure if this problem and #1 above were related but i can not see how they could be but that is why i am asking here. i assumed it was my occasional need for some freon but it wasnt as i soon discovered the compressor is not kicking on. is there anything i can check before i just get a new compressor on there? a fuse or anything at all? i had the compressor replaced about 2 years ago and dont like thinking about having to do it again.

i appreciate any advice or suggestions.

thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Jay87T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your low on freon, your compressor wont kick on, on the accumulator that round canister at the corner of your engine bay, if you take off the sensor harness, and short it with a piece of wire, it will quickly tell you if the compressor works or not. once u short it, the compressor should kick on, dont run it like that though or you will burn it out. so...if it kicks on, you are low on freon, and most likely have a slow leak somewhere.
Jason.

Quick Reply: 2 A/C related issues?