2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can I keep stock size shocks and driveshaft with 2-3" of lift on my 2wd 3.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can I keep stock size shocks and driveshaft with 2-3" of lift on my 2wd 3.7L?

I would like to make sure that I can keep stock size shocks if I am doing 2-3" of suspension lift??

I will be doing this probably with lift coils in the front. Such as found here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I believe that these could work for my application. What do you guys think?

For the rear, I'll either be adding a leaf or adding blocks. I just want to make sure that I will be able to utilize the stock size shocks. I also want to make sure that I won't need to mess with the size of my driveshaft.

I understand I'll need to get an alignment, that's no big deal. Will I need to worry about getting longer brake lines? If so, I'm assuming that the parts store will be able to provide me with what I need.

Will I need to worry about backspacing?

As my sig says, '04 3.7L 2wd quad cab

I want a more aggressive look to my truck. I also like the idea of more space to move around there without jacking it up.

Last edited by Rantz; 08-22-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

the problem with the back, is the spring is under the axle. So lift blocks won't help any. You can do an SOA swap, but that's pretty darn detailed. The better option would be shackles, or to weld up (again, risky, hope you're a damn good welder) custom 1-piece drop hangers.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Rantz
Veteran

How would I go about obtaining shackles. After reading through the FAQ it appears that the v8 shackles would lower my truck. Are there shackles that I can buy for my truck?

What if I get spacers to go between the axle and the leaf springs?

So I wouldn't have any issues using my stock size shocks and driveshaft?

Last edited by Rantz; 08-22-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Rantz
Veteran

I'm going to look into this shackles idea. I don't completely have my head wrapped around how it'll work, but I'm going to give it some thought.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Rantz
Veteran

I could do the spring over axle swap and then put the 4x4 shackles. The FAQ says the SOA swap will yield 5" of lift. Then the 4x4 hangers will drop it 2-3". Then if I need to go up an inch, I can add a block. This seems the most cost effective way since the only parts I would need to purchase would be the 4x4 hangers and maybe the 1" block.

My goal is to get 3" of lift. I would then just use the 3" lift coils in the front.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

Here's the ones my eyes are on. All you need is 2.5" spring width, doesnt care if they're for a ford or chevy. On a 2wd, because the hangers face down, the shackles say "drop", but are actually lift, because they increase the distance between the hanger and spring.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G904000/

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Rantz
Veteran

I'm also doing a search on summit for the 3" drop shackles
I'm now looking at some 2" lift coils on ebay possibly

Last edited by Rantz; 09-18-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Rantz
Veteran

I was advised by the seller of the lift coils that I should get taller shocks to compensate for the lift. How would I know what part #s to look for that would just be a tad bit taller to compensate for the lift and will still be compatible?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Rantz
Veteran

Monroe got back to me. The part numbers for shocks that'll fit my truck and be 2" taller are:

front 5938
rear 37140

This whole lifting idea is on hold for now.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
midget-farms
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 3 inches of lift you wont' need to change the drive shaft unless you do a lot of twisty trail rides. Then the slip yolk (or slip shaft) may pop out at the worst possible moment.

The drive shaft changes length as the suspension travels. So if the rear axel goes into a hole it gets longer when it comes out of the hole the shaft gets shorter. You have a good amount of play. BUt if you lift beyond 3" you don't have enough play to allow for a full cycle of the drive shaft & it will just come apart.

Under 3" & you should be fine.

Since you will be moving the axel around with the blocks/shackles consider a degree wedge to fix the pinion angle. As the lift gets higher the angle of the drive shaft gets worse. This can cause nasty vibrations. The degree shim will correct this. It just slips between the spring & the block you are using.

You will need new shocks for 3". Otherwise the shock is sitting near its bottom instead of in the middle of the cyl. When you hit a bump the shock bottoms out & all the force is transfered to your frame. In other words it will ride like S#!t & you could brake something if you hit bumps too hard.

Quick Reply: Can I keep stock size shocks and driveshaft with 2-3" of lift on my 2wd 3.7L?