2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

seafoam (or something better?) for 01 dak qc 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM
j2048b
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam (or something better?) for 01 dak qc 4wd?

i read somewhere that you can throw seafoam in the gas tank? is this correct? i dont want to do the crank and oil stuff because i recently threw in Amsoil!

so is it good in the gas tank, and down the tb? and what r the pros and cons to doing this?

thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can actually leave it in the crank case as long as you want.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I've heard your supposed to change the oil like 50 miles later cause it thins it out.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
thunder98110
Champion

yeah i thought that too but i heard some interview with a seafoam rep and he said its just a petroleum product and doesnt do any harm.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
twitchy
Professional

I recently had a talk with my neighbor, and he's not a huge fan of seafoaming says it can actually cause issues in some cases...

He's been a mechanic instructor for years. He's a huge car enthusiast too... 3 Camaros, 65 Mustang and countless others I've seen him play around with in the driveway... Basically, I trust the guy knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I'm not going to say he knows everything about a Dodge, esp. a Dakota, but I trust his judgement and I haven't done the foaming personally.

When I spoke with him about it, he mentioned Carbon build up is not always a bad thing, and in some cases helps the engine perform a little better.

That isn't to say a clean engine won't perform as well as one with build up, or that one with build up will perform better, not at all saying that...

Basically he said it's a crap shoot when using seafoam.

However, don't take this as word or gospel of course. It's just an opinion that I trusted.

Ultimately if you are interested, there are a number of videos on youtube explaining how to do a seafoaming properly.

I believe if you do a quick search on the forum, I think you should find a reference to a good video link.

Last edited by twitchy; 08-26-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i hear what your saying but the carbon isn't going to help engine performance. if your truck is already on its way out then the carbon might be stopping leaks.

i havn;t done mine in the oil but your not suppose to leave it in there till the next change. it's a cleaner not a additive. i did use mine in the booster line going to the tb. used half a can an then shut the engine off and left it in there for awhile. when you start it up it'll smoke out the exaust.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
jlampitt
Professional

I'm a little late to the party on this thread but I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in.

The Seafoam product appears to be similar to the BG products. The difference, I suppose, is that the BG products seem to be more specific whereas Seafoam is kinda an all-in-one.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the performance I get from the BG products. I use the BG 44K and the BG Quick Clean on a regular basis. The BG 44K worked wonders on a prior vehicle when the injectors were all gummed up. Had the vehicle running like new within 30 minutes of driving.

To clarify, "a regular basis" would be every ever-other-oil change for the BG 44K (approx 7,500 miles) and twice a year with the BG Quick Clean.

I religiously change the oil at 3,000 and run Mobil1.

My '03 Quad Cab is the 4.7L.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used it..my idle runs pretty smooth. Pouring seafoam into your break booster line will run it through the fuel system, cleaning your injectors, throttle body, etc etc. I found the most effective way was to open the butterfly valves to the tb and scrub it with a toothburhs & gasoline / carb cleaner. Not sure if its a gimic or not, but I've used it twice in the last year (only in the gas tank + vacuum lines, not the crank case/with the oil), but the truck runs smooth as ever with 218k

Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

You can do the same thing with water. (the spraying in the intake thing)

I wouldn't leave seafoam in the crankcase forever...200 miles or so is what I usually do.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM
j2048b

Did the seafoam on sat! Noticed a very smooth running engine afterwards wjich it was not smooth before! Put some in te tank as well! I think i had a mis fire prior to the seafoam as the trick would run a bit ruff, but now it is good to go! How often can u seafoam!? Thanks

Quick Reply: seafoam (or something better?) for 01 dak qc 4wd?