DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   fog light/high beams (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/259815-fog-light-high-beams.html)

yamaharacen232 09-05-2010 11:36 PM

fog light/high beams

i just did a quick search on the forum and couldnt find anything but is there something you can do to keep your fog lights on while your high beams are on without adding another switch?

Patrick Dennis 04-06-2011 04:18 PM

Fog Light operation w/high beams

1 Attachment(s)
Yes there is a simple solution. I had posted this previously. In your PDC, remove the RD/OG lead at Fog Lamp Relay # 1, Pin # 85. Add a separate ground lead. This disables the hi beam interference with the relay.

dodgeramguy85 04-06-2011 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depends what your you have 2000 or older you cant do the relay trick I tried it. I did find out that if you pull your fog switch and pair the blue wire with power the fogs will stay on with high beams

That will only work if you have this switch
Attachment 67874

sl2racer 04-08-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis (Post 2471202)
Yes there is a simple solution. I had posted this previously. In your PDC, remove the RD/OG lead at Fog Lamp Relay # 1, Pin # 85. Add a separate ground lead. This disables the hi beam interference with the relay.

first off good question.

second off i don't read the language of the diagram. what is pdc. what is rd/og. where is relay #1, pin #85. where do you add a ground to.

me and electrical don't play well with each other

gpcrow90 04-09-2011 12:15 AM

just be sure to turn them off when you have another vehicle heading towards you so ya don't blind them and make them wreck into you or someone else.

Plus its illegal to have your foglights, and hi beams on at the same time in the city.:icon_smash:

Patrick Dennis 04-10-2011 06:04 PM

That's correct - I have a 97, not familiar with the diagram of the later Gen 2 Dakotas.
The PDC is the "Power Distribution Center" in the engine compartment. RD/OG is the colors of the wire you are looking for (Red w/Orange stripe). The relay location identifier is on the inside of the PDC cover - when you take it off. The Red/Orange wire is attached to pin #85.
Operation of Fog lights is state regulated - different in nearly every state.
By the way, the reason I needed this wiring change was because I installed magnetically switched Hi/Lo HIDS and the feedback interferred with headlamp operation.

dodgeramguy85 04-10-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis (Post 2474632)
That's correct - I have a 97, not familiar with the diagram of the later Gen 2 Dakotas.
The PDC is the "Power Distribution Center" in the engine compartment. RD/OG is the colors of the wire you are looking for (Red w/Orange stripe). The relay location identifier is on the inside of the PDC cover - when you take it off. The Red/Orange wire is attached to pin #85.
Operation of Fog lights is state regulated - different in nearly every state.
By the way, the reason I needed this wiring change was because I installed magnetically switched Hi/Lo HIDS and the feedback interferred with headlamp operation.

Must be the kit then because I never had a problem with my hids and fogs

sl2racer 04-12-2011 02:17 AM

Thank u for the clarification

Patrick Dennis 04-12-2011 06:59 PM

Re: HIDS. I tried two different kits, one was a dual filiment, which worked terribly (poor pattern). The second was a single filiment,electro-magnetically moving the bulb for Hi/Lo operation. Light patern is execellant, but the solenoid didn't appreciate the dual groung feedback circuit through the fog light relay. Making the change to the fog lights solved the HID problem.