2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fog light/high beams

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
yamaharacen232
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light/high beams

i just did a quick search on the forum and couldnt find anything but is there something you can do to keep your fog lights on while your high beams are on without adding another switch?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Patrick Dennis
Default Fog Light operation w/high beams

Yes there is a simple solution. I had posted this previously. In your PDC, remove the RD/OG lead at Fog Lamp Relay # 1, Pin # 85. Add a separate ground lead. This disables the hi beam interference with the relay.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fog Lamp Wiring Revision E.jpg (63.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends what your you have 2000 or older you cant do the relay trick I tried it. I did find out that if you pull your fog switch and pair the blue wire with power the fogs will stay on with high beams

That will only work if you have this switch
IMG_6817.jpg

Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis
Yes there is a simple solution. I had posted this previously. In your PDC, remove the RD/OG lead at Fog Lamp Relay # 1, Pin # 85. Add a separate ground lead. This disables the hi beam interference with the relay.

first off good question.

second off i don't read the language of the diagram. what is pdc. what is rd/og. where is relay #1, pin #85. where do you add a ground to.

me and electrical don't play well with each other

Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
gpcrow90

just be sure to turn them off when you have another vehicle heading towards you so ya don't blind them and make them wreck into you or someone else.

Plus its illegal to have your foglights, and hi beams on at the same time in the city.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Patrick Dennis

That's correct - I have a 97, not familiar with the diagram of the later Gen 2 Dakotas.
The PDC is the "Power Distribution Center" in the engine compartment. RD/OG is the colors of the wire you are looking for (Red w/Orange stripe). The relay location identifier is on the inside of the PDC cover - when you take it off. The Red/Orange wire is attached to pin #85.
Operation of Fog lights is state regulated - different in nearly every state.
By the way, the reason I needed this wiring change was because I installed magnetically switched Hi/Lo HIDS and the feedback interferred with headlamp operation.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Dennis
That's correct - I have a 97, not familiar with the diagram of the later Gen 2 Dakotas.
The PDC is the "Power Distribution Center" in the engine compartment. RD/OG is the colors of the wire you are looking for (Red w/Orange stripe). The relay location identifier is on the inside of the PDC cover - when you take it off. The Red/Orange wire is attached to pin #85.
Operation of Fog lights is state regulated - different in nearly every state.
By the way, the reason I needed this wiring change was because I installed magnetically switched Hi/Lo HIDS and the feedback interferred with headlamp operation.
Must be the kit then because I never had a problem with my hids and fogs

Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

Thank u for the clarification

Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Patrick Dennis

Re: HIDS. I tried two different kits, one was a dual filiment, which worked terribly (poor pattern). The second was a single filiment,electro-magnetically moving the bulb for Hi/Lo operation. Light patern is execellant, but the solenoid didn't appreciate the dual groung feedback circuit through the fog light relay. Making the change to the fog lights solved the HID problem.

Quick Reply: fog light/high beams