2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What for Inner panel protection??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
pionkrm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What for Inner panel protection??

First off....GREAT SITE and thank you for all the knowledge Ive gotten off of here and the money I've saved. First official post, well second cause I replied to a post a few minutes before I started this one. SO question first... then how i ended up here

What are you guys using for inner panel protection like doors and rockers. Im really leaning towards the homemade WAXOYL recipe (BIG in the UK). There is also 3m rustfighter but its brown and the waxoyl is more clear. I have very little rust right now (just some staining on the lower rocker seams from the welds). I was planning on spraying some sort of phosphiric acid to stop the staining, rinse, dry and coat with waxoyl. I cant find anything locally so that is why im looking at the home brew. Plus I can remove it with some dewaxer if i ever have the need.

story if your interested:
04 Silver Dakota, v8 4.7L just rolled 100,000, 4x4. Got it for 6500 from a small dealer near my apartment. body in good shape, a few scratches and small dents. its the newest vehicle ive ever owned and the most expensive so Ive been fixing it up with advice from this site. My 97 wrangler rotted and cracked on the frame near the rear leaf spring mount so i had enough of fixing that up and wanted a truck for hunting and very light hauling. I put new tires on it (american racing rims are flaking chrome off, grrr) took off the JET performance chip, fixed the broken exhaust manifold bolts, misc. dash bulbs, and fixed the shredding of the foam on the drivers seat by covering the frame and foam with some duct tape to stop the rubbing.

The truck had a remote starter/alarm on it but the dealer never said anything about it, so I got a new keyFOB for the starter at bestbuy and an auto trim place reprogrammed it for me for free. works like a charm now. Kind of a bonus because the truck didnt come with a spare tire and the dealer said" Well those are custom rims, and Im not obligated to provide a spare for that", but whatever. I really like the truck so ive been fixing it up.

Fixed the radio(antenna's middle wire was bent over at the connection to the headunit), cleaned, claybarred the entire vehicle. The clay did a great job of removing small rust(oxidation) stains in the metallic pain, waxed it, used plasitc lens repair on the bugshield(worked great), did the DIY grille from here, put on a TRUXPORT tonneudo cover, ordered some 3" stainless ICI nerf bars for 200.17 shipped. Ordered a new chrome fuel door to replace the broken one already on the vehicle.

LOL all i think i got left is to install the bars and door when i get them, paint the frame with Masterseries silver this winter(friend has a heated garage) cause there is some weld rust and i want to take care of it before it gets any bigger, fix some paint scratches, and protect the inner panels with something (hence the original question). Ill also be replacing ball joints as i have a slight clunk when going over a speed bump.

If anyone survived reading this whole thing, my hat is off to you . ill try to attach some before pics and ill snap some more once i get the bars and fuel door on.

Thanks again for all the great advice, keep up the good work.,

Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!

We like pictures so keep us updated!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
pionkrm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No suggestions?? Im leaning towards getting a cheap Shutz gun and making the "waxoyl" with bees wax and mineral oils, but i was also trying to find info in linseed oil in this mix. osph first, dry and spray. what do you guys use for inner rocker/ body panel protection. Cant really spray with epoxy paint or anything cause its almost impossible to prep the tight spots the right way.

Quick Reply: What for Inner panel protection??