2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wiring a 6 pole trailer connector

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
sven556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring a 6 pole trailer connector

I'm trying to wire a 6 pole round connector to my dakota. It's a 97 dakota slt 3.9l six cylinder. I need the center pole to be hot to run the pump on a fuel trailer. I already have a 4 pole trailer connector so I have easy access to the tail light and brake light wires, but what's the best way to get a hot wire to the back of the vehicle? I was looking under the hood today at the fuse block. There are "Trailer relays" #1-3, now I pretty sure these aren't what I'm looking for, but what are they used for? There is a spot labeled "Trailer" fused at 40A; does this mean there's already a wire running to the back of the truck? or is this simply where I should connect a wire and run it back?

I know I could put an inline fused wire directly from the battery or fuse box but I would like this to look professional if possible.

Thanks,
Sven

Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

hmmm...I know the factory 7 pole trucks have the always-on already there....checking haynes....

Page 12-57, top right corner. It's for an 01+, but 00- should be the same.shows red/white wire going to a 20 amp "Fuse C" in the power distribution center.

Quick Reply: wiring a 6 pole trailer connector