2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

reading codes.. whose better to perform task ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Schuey
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the Autozone obd scanner any different then a dealer obd scanner ie more options ?

would a autozone or pepboys obd scanner be the same thing a dealer would use ? or would the dealer have a more indepth scanner ? or does it really matter ?

ive never needed to be hooked up to one be4 so a bit clueless on if it matters?

Last edited by Schuey; 10-07-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
midget-farms
Professional

You don't need a scanner with the dodge trucks - when the OBD2 computer stores a code you can retrieve it by turning the ignition switch on & off 3 times.

If you have a digital odometer the codes will show up there. If you don't the CEL will flash the code (3 flashes = a 3 then a pause then 4 flashes etc.)

The computer will hapily tell you what is wrong - if it knows - I don't believe any of the scanners do anything besides read& display these same codes.

The dealer has the advantage of years of experience with ambiguous codes - for example - my truck threw a P0442 the other day - It could be any of 20 parts that have failed - the dealer told me to buy a new gas cap - that took care of it.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM
metalsrfr
Veteran

yeah the key dance gives the same codes as a scanner will it just doesnt give you a description , but once you pull the code you can go here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html and get what the code is and just so you dont have to search for the link it is located in the sticky labeld FAQ

Quick Reply: reading codes.. whose better to perform task ?