2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad Steering pump and Rack & Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
frankwt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Steering pump and Rack & Pinion

2004 Dakota xlt 4 door, 51,000 miles. Steering has part power and part manual, took it in and final deal was bad steering pump due to all the trash, metal and rubber in the reservoir and a bad rack & Pinion $852 later it is fixed.

This is my first Dodge Truck and am very disappointed with the quality after driving Chevy's and Ford's with the headliner falling out at 47,000 miles and now this at only 51,000, Like the rest of the truck but this sucks when I really did not want to be spending the $$ now. I wonder what else dodge has programmed to fail?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

sorry to hear that! do you drive with the windows down all the time? thats the main reason for the headliner fabric to drop down. my wife has a 2000 grand caravan with 120000 miles and about 5 months ago the ac took a crap and she started driving with the windows down went from brand new to be sagging all over. it happens but its an easy fix... About the power steering and rack maybe the previous owner abused the truck and did not took care of it and you had to pay to fix it. that is the way it goes.... dont loose hope on the truck, they are awesome... if you want to fix tue headliner let me know and i let you know how to do it !! good luck.....

Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM
frankwt

No abuse at all, actually there is a service bulletin out about the rack and that is the teflon breaks loose and clogs up the system, they know it, in fact a screen was used to filter it and than screen becomes clogged and ruins your system...Dodge owes me money, they know the problem, failed to fix it and just let the customer suffer, that is the Detroit way, take care of the customer last cover their asses first!..

So why put windows that go up and down if they have a liner that fails?? Actually the upholstery shop told me Chrysler and Dodge keep him in business by using inferior products and their auto and trucks are the mainstay of his business...goes to show you it could be improved but once again the customer is thought of last...yeah easy fix $150 guess that is easy for some!

Quick Reply: Bad Steering pump and Rack & Pinion