2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shifter cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter cable

Well had a pretty crummy week. Monday I was on my way from work, was going to stop by my parents house for a BBQ. I pulled into a gas station next to their sub-division and went to put my truck into gear... Put the shifter into park and let my foot off the gas, only to find that my truck was still trying to idle forward. I then move the shifter up and down, which only made it worse cause then I was stuck in 1st gear. Not sure what exactly was the issue, I limp the truck to my parents house to have a look. Where the cable makes the bend towards the rear of the truck, the rubber coating of the cable had literally crumbled away. I manually put the truck into gear using the shifter reciever on the driver side of the tranny, It would push the cable down, but wouldnt pull it back up, so I could go from park to drive, but not back up to park. so after a few days of driving around by climbing under the truck, i start to notice a popping noise coming out of my rear end. Sounded identical to a loose lugnut banging around inside a hubcap. Rear U-Joint took a dump. ordered a new precision U-Joint for $3. 15 minutes and its back up and running. had to order the shifter cable from the dealer, that took two days from dallas and $120. 15 minutes for that one as well...easy fixes thankfully... If anyone needs pictures and a howto: please feel free to ask and i'll send it... Hope this can help some one else...

Quick Reply: Shifter cable