2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help My Headlights Dont Work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:57 PM
bao530a
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help My Headlights Dont Work!

I have a 99 Dakota and my headlights quit working on me the other day, and the only way I can get them to work is to hold the switch on the steering column, but as soon as I let go the headlights turn off again, everything else works find wipers, turn signals ect. just my lights dont work. I believe that this is a bad switch, am I wrong? Any help would be awesome!

thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum..

The Haynes Book for your truck will have the instructions for removing and testing the multi-function switch (the blinker/high beam switch on the steering column). You can check it with a volt-ohm meter before buying a new switch. The Haynes book will have directions for removing and testing the headlight switch too.

If the switch(es) turn out to be OK, you probably have a bad Central Timer Module. The only way to check the CTM for certain is at the Dodge dealer with the DRB-3 scan tool. If the dealer replaces the CTM, it can cost between $250.00 and $400.00, depending on dealer parts and labor prices where you live.

The CTM is located in the lower area of the driver's kick panel and it controls all of the electrical accessory functions on the truck. Low and high beam headlights, turn signals, interior lights, power windows, power locks, keyless entry (it is an internal part of the CTM) radio, dash lights - they all run through the CTM. CTM failure is a fairly common problem on Dakota's.

You can buy a new CTM at the dealer for around $200.00 and remove and replace the CTM yourself. If you have the factory keyless entry system, the dealer can program your old keyless remote control key fobs to the new CTM, or there was a post on here not long ago on how to do that yourself with the ignition key.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Help My Headlights Dont Work!