2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Afew questions and update

Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Afew questions and update

Hi everyone, havnt been on here for awhile. Since my last post i have replaced the throwout bearing, clutch, water pump, and afew other minor maintance items.

1. I have still yet to paint the truck, anybody with an idea on cost of materials thats been there? (would it be worth it too? my truck has 108,000 miles, paints completly shot)

2. When i have looked around for body lifts, they seem to be 2001 and up, nothing for my 98. Did something change? (only doing this if i paint..)

3. When i slow down to a stop in neutral (i have a 5 speed) the rpms drop down below 500 and the truck seems to shake slightly. Any ideas?

4. Heres a simple one : ) what headlights should i buy to replace mine, im looking for alittle whiter than stock (NOT BLUE!) and i dont want to upgrade to hids

Other than that its running great and im still happy with it, makes a great truck. (gas mileage not so much ; ) )

Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
midget-farms
Professional

I can tell you some about the paint - if you are planning to do it yourself.

I painted a jeep several years ago - going with a good Dupont base coat clear coat process is the way to go - I was able to get enough paint & primer to do my jeep for about $700.

That included a gallon of etching primer. You will want new primer otherwise your new paint may not stick to the old junk Dodge used.

If you want someone else to do it the cost goes way up.

But if you have an air compressor you can do it yourself in the garage - its really not that tough if you don't have a ton of dents or rust to deal with.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DakotaSLT
Hi everyone, havnt been on here for awhile. Since my last post i have replaced the throwout bearing, clutch, water pump, and afew other minor maintance items.

1. I have still yet to paint the truck, anybody with an idea on cost of materials thats been there? (would it be worth it too? my truck has 108,000 miles, paints completly shot)

2. When i have looked around for body lifts, they seem to be 2001 and up, nothing for my 98. Did something change? (only doing this if i paint..)

3. When i slow down to a stop in neutral (i have a 5 speed) the rpms drop down below 500 and the truck seems to shake slightly. Any ideas?

4. Heres a simple one : ) what headlights should i buy to replace mine, im looking for alittle whiter than stock (NOT BLUE!) and i dont want to upgrade to hids

Other than that its running great and im still happy with it, makes a great truck. (gas mileage not so much ; ) )
well here we go,

1. paint wise my buddy painted his Jetta at the shop he works at for about $400 dollars worth of paint and no labor or clear coat cost since he has a sweet boss. you can goto mako (i dont even know how to spell it since it sucks maybe its macco) and get it sprayed for like $200. if you prep it really good before hand it actually may hold up my buddy said.

2. umm didn't look hard enough? http://www.allliftkits.com/9669.html

3. do they stay there or just drop and then come back up to idle?

4. silverstar ultras

Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rpms sometimes drop a little like that... not sure why though or if it is even a problem.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:40 AM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie

They come back up, its just the truck seems to shudder around the 10mph mark, even without the brakes applied.

As for my headlights I wanted to clean them up before i bought new bulbs. I used some plastic polish and a buff wheel to take clean up the outside of the lense, how do i get it off to clean the inside?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
00dakSport
All Star

the lenses are held on with 6 plastic tabs 2 on the top 2 on the bottom a 1 on each side. but if your truck is old theres a good chance your going to break them. after i loss one lense on the road i siliconed the new one and the suckers never coming off.
if your lense still look bad tho you need more then polish. you got to sand them down with a finer and finer grits then you can polish them like new. 3m makes a good kit with everything you need. did mine almost a year ago and there still white.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Afew questions and update