2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new guy with question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with question

so ive seen a couple posts asking this question but havent been able to find an answer really on any. so its when i start my truck after goin down the road a bit my brake and abs lights come on and only go off if i restart my truck. its a 98 dodge dakota rt. any help will be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

uuhhh plug in a code reader to at least check to see if its throwing a code, or check the abs sensors?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
midget-farms
Professional

yup - the lights will go out on some codes when you restart the truck - then when the computer detects the problem again it turns the light back on.

Not all functions of the computer are testing all the time - somethings are only tested every 20 minutes - some every 5000 miles etc.

The computer has stored a code - it will tell you where to look for the problem.

Chances are - its either an ABS computer failure (not cheap) or your brake master cylendar has a low pressure issue.

Do you notice this light comes on after you have stopped at a light?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
midget-farms
Professional

oh - I forgot one thing - The ABS comuter is not connected to the engine computer - most code readers will only work on the ECM. You may need to have the code read by a shop that has the correct tools.

It may be as simple as low brake fluid. Give that a check too.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Pwall
Veteran

do the come on and go off while driving and when coming to a stop does it sometime make a noise under the hood like something is getting electrocuted and the pedal gets hard to control.
my truck did that before the just stayed on all the time i have a sensor malfunction and an open circuit in the moduel that i pulled with my scanner
its cheaper for me to leave the lights on because i don;t have inspections here and with the lights on it just shuts the abs system off

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could always be the speed sensors over the rear diff, the abs sensor. Those are pretty cheap and a hopeful fix.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

the brake fluid is full and sometimes they will come on while goin down the road after ive stopped, im not worried about them bein on really except that im stationed in norfolk virginia and the vehicle has to be inspected every so often so i dont want it to fail next time it has to be on but as long as they dont drive it when they inspect it and i turn it off before they do the lights shouldnt come on, ill go by advance tomorrow and wait for the lights to come on and keep it runnin and use their scanner to see if that shows anything, thanks for the opinions

Quick Reply: new guy with question