2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Not good.. Dana44 issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 PM
fourpointseven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not good.. Dana44 issue.

So I wasn't sure so i've been heads up with something going on in my Dana44 recently. Only till tonight i've found what i was looking for.

I recently found out I have 2 side axel seals gone in my D44, Drivers side worse then the passenger. I've caught on to this because it seems as I turn the U-joints i've been hearing almost like a Dry bearing noise, found out i've been leaking oil, not sure for how long.

so it looks im going back to wrenching this weekend. I wonder if Napa has side axel seals for a 44... im pretty isolated here so im just gonna cross me fingers as to the lack of mechanic shops in town to find me a couple of seals.

Can anybody relate to the noise im hearing from turning the U-joints by han?? they roll and spin freely but they make like, not a grinding noise but almost like some dry bearing noises when you rotate. its like you can feel them spinning inside the axel. ?

maybe the lack of oil inside the axel(not diff)

p.s - 4x4 runs fine, 4x4 Locked runs fine.

Last edited by fourpointseven; 11-16-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Pwall
Veteran

is it front or rear
front the half shaft boot broke and grease everywhere get new cv shafts
rear you have to replace the bearing seal, and maybe the axle shaft if there is a gouge in it

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

It's the front. I've SASd and running a d44.. I'm gonna pull the tires, pop the diff cover soon. There should only be oil in the differintal, so im thinking i got some seals gone on the inside. im gonna have to pull the carrier and have a better look at this sucker very soon.

Quick Reply: Not good.. Dana44 issue.