2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wheel studs, glad we have 6!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel studs, glad we have 6!

i was driving down the freeway at 70mph, bad vibration started. i stopped to check things out and 4 of the studs were snapped off of the rear tire, and only 1 of the 2 remaining was tight. i limped her home and now have a project today. how bad is it to change out the rear wheel studs? i will also need a new rim, cuz the holes are all f==ked up. how much should it cost for a used rim?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rears are actually easy, because as long as the other wheel is on the ground the axle will stay in place. Just need a good hammer to knock whatever is left off. You may need to rotate the axle once in a while to be able to find room to install the new lugs, so have the jack ready. The way I installed them, I just slid one through nice and evenly, and I actually didn't have any nut that was flat ended, so I just one of my spare lug nuts with washers at the end (ghetto, but it worked). I first ratcheted the lug on the hub, and once the base of the lug started to reach the surface of the hub, I put the drum on and continued from there. You're going to need a breaker bar or some kind of leverage for that. Periodically check the work by removing the drum until the back is flush with the back of the hub and done. Easy stuff.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the broken ones came out with a few hits of a bfh! now the problem is i went to autozone, advanced auto, fleetfarm and a local race shop(my buddy works there and opened the door for me), i was only able to piece together 3 studs and nut assemblies. wtf! so..... in gunna drive 68 miles to work tomorrow morning with 4 lugs. i will stop a few times to check them on the way. please wish me luck folks. the ironic thing is, at my shop, we have a crap load of wheelstuds and nuts. ill let yall know if i crash!

Quick Reply: wheel studs, glad we have 6!