DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Towing a 4WD truck possible? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/270479-towing-a-4wd-truck-possible.html)

dbilik 11-30-2010 09:26 AM

Towing a 4WD truck possible?

I am guessing this is not possible, but can you safely tow a 4WD truck with all four wheels on the ground using a tow bar? I know it would be ok for a short distance at lower speeds to get yourself somewhere safe, but what about long distance on the highway? I want to say it wasn't possible because of the transfer case, unless of course you disconnected the driveshafts.

dbilik 11-30-2010 09:41 AM

I should add this to the post.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Ima...ngs_p20_28.pdf

It shows the 2006 Dakota being able to be flat towed. From what I understand you need to put the transmission in park and the transfer case in neautral, then the axles are free to spin but the transmission does not. Does this sound right?

FireFighterHill 11-30-2010 10:32 AM

Did you try checking the owners manual?

zanethan 11-30-2010 10:35 AM

With an electronic transfercase I'm not sure you can put in in just neutral but don't hold me to that. I would think you need to disconnect the driveshafts if the transfer case can't be put into neutral.

Derek2002 11-30-2010 02:56 PM

The owners manual has a section on recreational towing of 4x4 vehicles.It says to put the transfer case in neutral to tow it.Thats about it.

dakota_raven 11-30-2010 04:38 PM

My 2007 has a push button on the 4x4 knob housing to put it
in neutral the transfer case for towing!!

zanethan 11-30-2010 07:19 PM

I stand corrected. I've never actually seen a dakota's push button 4wd system but my moms suburban doesn't have that option so i just assumed.

dodgeramguy85 11-30-2010 08:16 PM

Our 07 ram has a neutral option its possible and have you thought about a tow dolly?

sapporo 11-30-2010 08:23 PM

I wouldn't recommend a tow dolly on a 4x4 unless you disconnect the drive shaft for the wheels on the ground.

Ralpho 11-30-2010 08:28 PM

Can you do it with a 2000 4x4 ram with a shifting nobe. Sorry to butt in. Ive been wondering the same thing.

McNasy 11-30-2010 09:50 PM

i have the 2001 AWD with the electric tranfer case. there is a neutral for button on it. the owners manual says its fine to tow it with the t/c in neutral.

dbilik 11-30-2010 11:32 PM

I know it specifically says in the owners manual not to tow long distances with the two wheels up on a dolly or such.

As far as going into neautral, the transfer case can, but the trans has to be in park, so it doesn't move while you are towing. I guess it is because I owned a 1995 4WD Dakota and was always told that flat towing was not a good idea because of the transfer case. I am planning on hooking up brackets to my new bumper to allow for me to put a tow bar on if I ever need it. It is a nice option to have instead of having to rent a trailer.

As far as the 2000 Ram goes, I am not sure, I would be interested to know though. I think you have the NP213 transfer case in that?

bpark8824 12-01-2010 12:22 PM

Yeah the elctronic 4wd can go into nuetral. There is a little button you push with a pen or something small and pointy. Kinda like changing the time on a standard chyrsler HU.

89newbie 12-02-2010 07:41 AM

Towed my 2004 with tow dolly about 300 mi. Followed towing instructions in manual. Only problem was rental dolly straps sucked, too short to stay tight. Lesson learned was think tow. I always carry tie downstraps so I secured Mr.Dakota with additional stuff to be sure he was secure. Good side was whenI returned the dolly the rental manager looked at the straps refunded me all but one day and explained straps were defective and it should hae never been rented with the straps in that condition.

dbilik 12-03-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 89newbie (Post 2336638)
Towed my 2004 with tow dolly about 300 mi. Followed towing instructions in manual. Only problem was rental dolly straps sucked, too short to stay tight. Lesson learned was think tow. I always carry tie downstraps so I secured Mr.Dakota with additional stuff to be sure he was secure. Good side was whenI returned the dolly the rental manager looked at the straps refunded me all but one day and explained straps were defective and it should hae never been rented with the straps in that condition.

I am specifically referring to a 4WD Dakota, which cannot be towed on a tow dolly without removing the driveshaft. And a 2WD Dakota can probably only be towed safely backwards or with the driveshaft removed. I think that is a general rule of thumb for a rear wheel drive vehicle.

89newbie 12-04-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by dbilik (Post 2338309)
I am specifically referring to a 4WD Dakota, which cannot be towed on a tow dolly without removing the driveshaft. And a 2WD Dakota can probably only be towed safely backwards or with the driveshaft removed. I think that is a general rule of thumb for a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Oh No! Now im wondering how much life I robbed from that 2004 Dodge Transmission! Guess I should have towed the 30 foot R.V. with the Dakota! LOL just picture that one big old motor:icon_rtfm:home being towed by a Dak.

Dodge4lyfe 12-05-2010 12:11 AM

With the TC in neutral, it won't be an issue. The big concern is the transmission output shaft spinning while the engine is off, which will shorten it's life because the pump isn't running and pushing oil through the trans. Having the TC in neutral will eliminate this issue. Oh, and FTR, I've flat towed my 95 4wd Dak behind an RV with no issues, was even told by Dodge dealer it would be fine, as long as tc stays in neutral.

Yamaha guy 06-01-2014 01:37 AM

flat towing my 2000 dodge dakota 4WD manual shilft

I was told that in order to flat tow, you must put your transfer case in neutral and that is true. But what gear do you put the gear shifter in? I am getting all kinds of answers on this one

Robbadodge 06-01-2014 12:50 PM

I researched because I forgot the sequence.... copied this from a thread:

Stop vehicle in towing position.
Apply emergency brake.
Connect tow bar.
Connect towing lights.
Connect safety cables.
Connect emergency break away device.
Turn ignition key to on (first position to unlock steering wheel)
Depress brake pedal.
Shift automatic transmission to neutral.
Depress recessed transfer case neutral button for about 4 seconds.
Neutral light will come on.
Depress brake.
Start engine using key.
Shift into reverse.
Release brake pedal.
Determine that vehicle does not tend to move.
Shut engine off.
Place dummy key in unlocked on position.
Shift transmission to Park position.
Test towing lights.
Connect Brake Buddy and depress test button.
Remove fuse # 8 (Durango) to eliminate current drain of gear position indicator or
connect toad charge system.
Activate alarm system with key fob or door switch.

Unhooking vehicle:

Deactivate alarm system with key fob.
Apply emergency brake.
Bleed and remove Brake Buddy
Disconnect towing lights.
Disconnect emergency break away device.
Disconnect safety cables.
Disconnect tow bar and store it
Install fuse # 8 (Durango) or disconnect toad charge system.
Place ignition switch in the on position.
Depress brake pedal.
Shift automatic transmission to the Neutral position.
Depress recessed transfer case neutral button for about 1 second.
When light goes off release button.
Start engine with regular key.
Shift automatic transmission into Reverse.
Release emergency brake.

00DakDan 06-01-2014 01:25 PM

It shouldn't really matter as long as the transfer case is in neutral. The oil pump is driven off of the output shaft so it will turn as long as the wheels are moving.

But, Dodge is quite clear that it is not recommended. Per the 2000 owner's manual:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation recommends towing with all wheels off the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow the vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of the vehicle raised and the opposite end on a towing dolly.

They go further, only in reference to a 2wd vehicle, by saying:

If the vehicle is to be towed more than 15 miles (25 km), it must be towed on a flatbed, or with the rear wheels raised and the front wheels on the ground, or with the front end raised and the rear wheels on a towing dolly.

MoparMan1991 06-01-2014 01:34 PM

The gear the transmission is in won't matter if the transfer case is in neutral. The transfer case being in neutral disconnects the entire driveline from the transmission.

Tom A 06-01-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991 (Post 3170516)
The gear the transmission is in won't matter if the transfer case is in neutral. The transfer case being in neutral disconnects the entire driveline from the transmission.

When I used to flat tow my Jeep, I always put the transmission in fifth gear. The reasoning behind this is that if the transfer case were ever to drop into gear while I was towing it down the highway at 60MPH, it wouldn't do any damage to the engine, as opposed to trying to do 60 in, say, first gear.

I'm curious, though, about the no tow dolly thing. My truck has locking front hubs and I drive it with them unlocked, which is kind of like having it on a tow dolly (rear driveshaft spinning, front not moving). I've been driving it this way for quite a while (as does pretty much anybody with a SAS) and haven't noticed any ill effects.

00DakDan 06-01-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 3170679)
I'm curious, though, about the no tow dolly thing. My truck has locking front hubs and I drive it with them unlocked, which is kind of like having it on a tow dolly (rear driveshaft spinning, front not moving). I've been driving it this way for quite a while (as does pretty much anybody with a SAS) and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Owners manual = lawyers = CYA.

Somebody, sometime, probably with an automatic burnt out their transmission due to lack of lubrication after towing it across country.

It really shouldn't be an issue, with the transfer case in neutral.