2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Urgent Mistake Alternator Ground?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Urgent Mistake Alternator Ground?

vehicle- 97 dakota v8 4x4 150k auto

I just finished putting my manifold back together after changing a couple of gaskets and then I made a Huge mistake I put my alternator ground cable in the wrong spot not realizing until I started my truck and everything went crazy. My engine was knocking and it seemed as if the firing order was screwy.

So now my battery has no power and I'm not sure if I blew my alternator regulator. What do you guys think happen?

Should I get a new battery or try jump starting the vehicle first?

Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Could be two different issues. If the engine is knocking and sounds like the firing order is off, maybe your new manifold gaskets are not sealed up very well and you have a leak. It's been years since I pulled the manifold on my 98' 3.9 V6, and I don't remember if I had to take the distributor out. If you did take the distributor out, you may have not put it back correctly. I know the timing on a 98 does not come from the distributor, but the fuel timing does so you have to get it right.

Pull the alternator and battery out and take it in to be tested. Autozone will charge the batter if it is low before testing. Once again, I know the 98's are regulated through the ECM, not sure about the 97's but I would believe so. If the voltage regualtion is off, then you burned up something in the ECM when you crossed up the wires and it might be time for a new computer.

If the battery really did die, get a good battery rather than try to jump start the bad one.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Problem solved... When I put the alternator ground in the wrong spot it wiped out whatever power that was left in my battery and since it was an old battery it didn't stand a chance. So I went to autozone got a new battery and placed the alternator ground in the right spot and boom my Dakota fired up like a champ.

Thanks

I went into a panic after all that hard work.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
2000DakotaQuad
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lucky lucky lesson learned

Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
dabald

I'm glad you're problem is solved but i have a question... I've got a problem with low voltage and a check gauges light. I am concerned my alternator is going bad. I have a brand new battery and I've just rebuilt a 408 in my Dakota. The alternator has two electrical connections, a plug and a lug. You cannot accidentally mix mine up if you tried so I'm wondering what yours looks like. I've got a set of wires that plug into the alternator and a positive wire with an O-ring that mounts to a lug. Please advise how you crossed up wires and blew a battery? Am I missing a ground? Is mine crossed? Thanks, Dabald@BellSouth.net

Quick Reply: Urgent Mistake Alternator Ground?