2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Click When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
United
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click When Accelerating

Whenever I give the truck some throttle, there is a clicking that seems to come from just behind the dash on the driver's side. I'm almost certain it isn't anything engine related because the sound isn't audible outside of the cab. It also goes away when I take my foot off the throttle and while coasting and idling. There are no codes being thrown and everything else works just as it should, so I'm kind of at a loss as to whats causing it.

Any ideas?

1999, 3.9, 4x4, auto

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
sonderegger
Rookie

most likely a manifold leak

Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine clicks and ticks under load, not in park reving it. i know i have a bad exhaust gasket and intake gasket. the only time i hear it is at cold starts and driving along a wall where it echoes.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 AM
United
Rookie

I don't think its the manifolds. Wouldn't I be able to hear that when I have the hood popped?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 AM
TUFF977

Exhaust leaks can be tricky devils it could be a number of exhaust leaks manifold gaskets possibly a fatigued weld or leaky o2 censor I would investigate the exhaust. It is possible the sound is drown out by the other odd engine noise when you are outside the cab.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
yenner

If I'm not mistaken you're talking about the noise being heard when you accelerate then when you let off the peddle. Not constant. An exhaust leak would be more noticable at any time.

Try this: Turn on your heat/fan on high. Use the vents or feet setting, doesn't matter. Take her out for a spin. When you accelerate and here the first click does the vent seem to stop producing air? When you hear the 2nd click does the air pressure coming out of the vents return?

Mine does the same, as does my brothers 03 Grand Cherokee. No clue why or how to solve though. Sorry. I haven't researched it yet.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
United
Rookie

I'll check into the exhaust for sure, but I'm still not convinced that's the problem. Would a leaky O2 sensor not throw a code?

Yenner, I don't think that's the same tick I'm having. Mine is very constant and rapid as long as my foot is on the throttle. The fan seemed unaffected by anything when I tried that trick.

It also doesn't change speed or loudness whenever the RPMs increase or decrease, if that helps at all.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
yenner

Def. not the same then. My sounds like a valve that opens/shuts. It starts when I acc. and stops when I dec. and the airflow acts as if it's closed off then reopened.

So the sounds is constant regardless of RPM's? That's truly odd. Does it happen with the air/heat off? I honestly have no clue at this point. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

sorry ! "smart phone" double post" lol

Last edited by dakota_raven; 12-06-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

i got the same click in my 07' dak and comes from the gas pedal. usually when it start it and after a while it goes away. i took her to the dealer and they changed the intermediate steering shaft and said that was the problem but i isolated the click to the gas pedal. fix? i have no idea, will i get the "toyota syndrome"? i have no clue but i know it gets annoying !.

Quick Reply: Click When Accelerating