2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Keeps losing power steering after new pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
dakotafanincali
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keeps losing power steering after new pumps

Hi

New to board and first post. Excuse any mistakes.

We have a 2000 dodge dakota. 4.7 2wd

For the last year our power steering pump would whine at start up for about a minute. Mostly when cold. But was fine other then that. No leaks anywhere. Rak and pinion included.

A year ago right at smog ck time the ck engine light came on. Of coarse. Code was for power steering pump sensor. Cleaned it and code left and passed smog ck with flying colors.

2 weeks ago the power steering was gone all of a sudden. No power steering. My husband replaced the pump. Got it at auto zone. Did the bleed ect according to instruction with pump and info we found on line. My husband is good with cars so this wasn't anything that was out of his comfort zone. So we thought.

Had no power steering at idle right after new pump install. Then with in minutes, 5 miles, no power steering at all again.

This is a service truck, we have a small service business so this truck has to run so he drove it like this for a week. Took pump out and exchanged it for another. Installed it. Also new pulley each time. Same thing happened. No ps at idle then all ps fades with in minutes miles.

There are no leaks at rak and pinion. Checked boots ect.

Our questions......

can the sensor be causing the power steering to fade so fast?

Why do we have power steering for even a minute at new install and then it fades?

Also ck engine light is back on last couple of weeks. o2 sensor code. We know that power steering fluid can get into it so that will be cleaned.

We returned ps pump to auto zone today and got another ps pump at another auto parts place. Quality of pump is way better. You can see that. Also bought the sensor switch.

So please any ideas opinions anything is so appreciated.

What is going on? He has bled the line 100 times with each pump. We see no air bubbles ect but bleed anyway.

Also found out from on line searches that atf 4 is what to putin pump, not ps fluid. So we changed that out on last night on second pump. No difference. still no power steering. He is getting ready to install 3rd ps pump now. Also new sensor flow switch.

Just tired and frustrated.

Please any input will be so appreciated.

Blessings

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
dakotafanincali

No one has any ideas, thoughts anything?

He has put 3rd power steering pump on truck, did the bleed ect. Then the reservoir started to leak right where it connects to pump. geeez. Not too happy with this truck.

He has pulled it off and the o ring had come off. So now hes putting o ring on and reattaching the res to pump.

Still hoping for any ideas.

have seen some say to not put o ring at res pump connection and others say put 2. Which is it?

Thanks to all who took the time to read the posts

Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 PM
kgebro
Default Ditto!

I'm having the same problem...I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota and have been through the same process as you and the pump still has a significant leak.

I wonder if the pressure hose that connects to the bottom of the pump needs and O ring as that is where it seems to be leaking.

I plan to call the pump manufacture to find out. If I get positive results I'll post again. Please do the same if you get positive results.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Keeps losing power steering after new pumps