2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Magnum v6 cps location- can't find

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 PM
gjwolf1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum v6 cps location- can't find

If anyone knows where this is or has a picture (or has done it) could you please let me know.

I've been told over and over the crankshaft position sensor sits on the pass side back block. I've crawled in there and I don't see it.

I know have the truck jacked up and and looking from below I still cannot find it.

looking for somoene who's done it on the v6 magnum

Thanks,

G

Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You didn't say what year truck you have but the Dodge Factory Service Manual for my 2001 3.9 says the sensor is bolted to the top of the cylinder block near the rear of the right cylinder head. Manual says the best way to access the sensor is to remove the right front fender liner.

The manual shows it right above and in front of the edge of the bell housing/flywheel area, just above the joint for the exhaust pipes on the right side of the truck. The sensor has a rubber grommet that it is inserted into, has a 3-wire plastic wire harness connector and the manual says it is mounted to the block with recessed Allen-head bolts. Maybe that will help you find it.

I have also heard you should always use the original factory bolts when reinstalling the new sensor. I think they are machined to a precise length to match each individual engine and flywheel.

Jimmy

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
gjwolf1

Thank you for that Jimmy, it is a 98

Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
gjwolf1
Default location of crankshaft ps

I was able to get at it by jacking car up and going from underneath. That gave me the ability to actually 'see it' through the pipes and behind the pass side block like I was told.

I had to kinda turn on my side and reach my hand up in there w/ a stub socket wrench for the bottom bolt (closest to wheel) while the top one I needed a 1/2 open ended wrench as I was unable to get a socket wall in there.

at anyrate, thanks for the help and maybe this can save/help someone else. I really appreciated the help of the forum.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah they are a pita to get at. Try it on a ram its even harder Im thankful I had ratchet wrenches cause a reg wrench would of took a hr

Quick Reply: Magnum v6 cps location- can't find