2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

speedo calibration help/tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM
a-hall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PonchoRob
Hey , thanks for the compliment , truth is , i have already been where your trying to go , sort of ,, i have a `97 Dakota also but only a 2 wheel drive , and i recently upped the tire/rim size to a 255/65-16 combo and started experiencing a few problems like the speedo being way off , trans shift points different , and when i would brake to stop the truck would sorta pulse/jerk like a rotor was warped ( which turns out was the abs thinking i was skidding ) , but the abs/brake never threw up a light or code . I researched alot of truck and jeep sites and found the info i previously gave to you . I changed my pinion gear from a 35 tooth to a 33 tooth and that solved my problems for the most part , !
So im gonna have to probobaly drop the transfer case? i think i may just stick with getting the hypertch and either putting in a smaller tire size or just correcting the tire size and leave the gear ratio alone. If i can get the tire size right surely the gears wont throw it off too much ill just have to figure out much its off by.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
PonchoRob
Professional

No , you should be able to reach it no problem , according to my parts manual the speedo gear assembly housing is located at the rear of the transfer case just before the driveshaft ,,, if im correct in my assumption - the 98`s and up use a sensor like the one in the rear axel for the speedo and thats why their computer`s can be flashed to correct for different tire sizes .

Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
a-hall
Rookie

Originally Posted by PonchoRob
No , you should be able to reach it no problem , according to my parts manual the speedo gear assembly housing is located at the rear of the transfer case just before the driveshaft ,,, if im correct in my assumption - the 98`s and up use a sensor like the one in the rear axel for the speedo and thats why their computer`s can be flashed to correct for different tire sizes .
The only thing i have found removalable on the transfer case is the speed sensor which i have already changed. If i have to change the pinion gear located in the transfer case the only way to get to it is threw dropping the transfer case. I dont see how the pinion can be changed without dropping the transfer case

Quick Reply: speedo calibration help/tuner question