2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Weird Rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Road1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weird Rattle noise

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what it might be.
I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota V6 that has a weird rattle noise when at idle
and only when in gear (R or D). Goes away as soon as i start to move. When in the cab it sounds like it coming from my left side front. Other times it sounds like it from the center of the engine. Very hard to pin point. RPM's
stay steady at 600 during idle and i have no check engine light.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 AM
89newbie
Captain

Try this, one foot on brake then a little gas, if rattle goes away possibly torque converter or flexplate( old name for fly wheel for auto vehicles).

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM
89newbie
Captain

??????????????????

Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if its a 'rattle' but there is this... hmm.. do not know how to describe it.. but kinda like a gargle sound..? sounds like it comes from the bell housing, center of truck when driving..

My 81 ford had the same exact sound.. but that truck had rebuilt engine 5.0 HO and rebuilt Tranny.. all new parts..

Anyways your pretty sure it goes away when you give it gas? Not 'ticking' sound.. clatter sound?

Run some Premium through it see if it goes away.. could be due to less octane.. spark ping.. things of that nature.. I do not know if you live in an area that mandates that junk 10% ethanol like Texas does.. but stuff lowers your performance and volatility of the fuel.. and will make your engine clatter, ping and weird stuff.. i can run Supreme through about a tanks worth in my wifes Ford Taurus and the clatter and ping sound at idle, and rough idle goes away.. but moment i stick regular gas through it.. it hates its it..

Funny its a Flex Fuel at that.. ROFL

Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I'm not sure if its a 'rattle' but there is this... hmm.. do not know how to describe it.. but kinda like a gargle sound..? sounds like it comes from the bell housing, center of truck when driving..

My 81 ford had the same exact sound.. but that truck had rebuilt engine 5.0 HO and rebuilt Tranny.. all new parts..

Anyways your pretty sure it goes away when you give it gas? Not 'ticking' sound.. clatter sound?

Run some Premium through it see if it goes away.. could be due to less octane.. spark ping.. things of that nature.. I do not know if you live in an area that mandates that junk 10% ethanol like Texas does.. but stuff lowers your performance and volatility of the fuel.. and will make your engine clatter, ping and weird stuff.. i can run Supreme through about a tanks worth in my wifes Ford Taurus and the clatter and ping sound at idle, and rough idle goes away.. but moment i stick regular gas through it.. it hates its it..

Funny its a Flex Fuel at that.. ROFL
Have a flex, system sucks. Our govt, ethanol does nothing except give us less mileage. Wondering how valve clatter from octane could be a problem at idle, that goes away with acceleration???

Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Have a flex, system sucks. Our govt, ethanol does nothing except give us less mileage. Wondering how valve clatter from octane could be a problem at idle, that goes away with acceleration???
Excessive wear I suppose..

Quick Reply: Weird Rattle noise