2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9l CEL code help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM
ra3formula
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9l CEL code help

Hey guys I have been having some trouble with my 2000 Dak. It's a 3.9l motor and was stalling on me a lot every time I came to a stop.
A little History:
I replaced the cap, rotor, pickup coil (hall effect), plugs, wires, coil, and IAC. I tested the TPS it was smooth and the limits were in spec. After all that it still stalled. Anyhow, I just bought the truck and feel better knowing the condition of all the tune up parts. So after some research, I decided to replace the crank pos sensor. Stall fixed!!
Now fast forward a few weeks, the CEL comes on. She's throwing p300, p301, p303, p305. So mis-fires on all 3 left side cylinders!?!? I am going to start swapping plugs, wires(if possible), and injectors from one side of the motor to another. I really doubt this will change anything but I need to rules these items out. Any thoughts from those that have been here before?? Part of me wonders if the crank pos sensor is at fault but it's odd that just the left cylinders are mis-firing. Other thoughts have been maybe a bad ground on the drivers side, possibly to the injectors?
I'm all ears right now.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Cali1500

I just started having similar problems on my RAM1500. I'm getting codes P300, 301, 305, 307. It started with P307 last week and now the codes are lighting up like a Christmas tree. It has been pretty damp out here lately, but maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it. Let me know if you figure out what is going on with your rig and I will do the same.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
DakotaPower3

first i would not recommend swapping anything from side to side. I had a mis-fire issue also. i solved by doing cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and the lower plenum pan gasket(lower intake gasket). also check and make sure the injectors are flush with the housing that they are clean around them. if they are not flush you will suck air in which will cause a lean condition therefore you will be seeing black smoke coming out the exhaust. if you have any further ?s you can send me a pm I am a certified mechanic

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
ra3formula

Originally Posted by DakotaPower3
first i would not recommend swapping anything from side to side. I had a mis-fire issue also. i solved by doing cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and the lower plenum pan gasket(lower intake gasket). also check and make sure the injectors are flush with the housing that they are clean around them. if they are not flush you will suck air in which will cause a lean condition therefore you will be seeing black smoke coming out the exhaust. if you have any further ?s you can send me a pm I am a certified mechanic
I have done all of the above other than checking the injectors and the lower intake gasket. It has been brought up by an uncle of mine who is also a mechanic. Would there be any other signs of a bad lower intake gasket? I'll take a look at the injectors this week when I install the rack (and probably a new clock spring :-( )

Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 PM
DakotaPower3

rough idle, lack of power/ hesitation. those were symptoms i had. the lower intake gasket is bout a 2-4 hour job. you have to remove the entire intake manifold and everything attached to it

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
DakotaPower3

if it continues the only thing left is that the whole ecm could be bad it is giving and receiving false information.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Cali1500

Come to think of it, my RAM magnum is consuming a lot of oil. This is supposed to be a tell-tale sign that the plenum gasket is leaking. This is supposed to be a notorious problem on the rams because the pan on the bottom of the intake is steel and the intake is aluminum. I'm not sure how the Dakota's are configured, but my point is that the intake gasket makes sense as a possible cause for the misfire.

DP3...thanks for your posts!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
DakotaPower3

no problem. i'd also check your positive crankcase ventilation valve. if thats bad youll also be consuming oil

Quick Reply: 3.9l CEL code help