2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new guy with an engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
shanondacanon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with an engine issue

Engine runs fine at speed, smooth. When I push in clutch and slow down for a turn or stop, the engine will idle down and then cut out completely. I usually restart with a compression start so I can quickly get power steering back, it will start right away with the ignition also. One time after restart, and only one time, it ran very rough for a short period, 30 seconds, and smoothed back out. It logged a code which said intermittent loss of crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. I don't want to start changing parts just to change parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 99 Dodge Dakota, 4x4, 144K miles, 5.2L, 5 sp. manual. Thank you.

The only new cars I have ever bought were both Dodges, this one and a 1984 Dodge Omni GLH. Man do I miss that car, what a pocket rocket!

Last edited by shanondacanon; 01-05-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Dakota section,
FF

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
corpusfisherman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shanondacanon
intermittent loss of crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. I don't want to start changing parts just to change parts.
I understand about hating to throw parts at a problemo, but the crankshaft position sensor is a notorious issue with these trucks. I know, I had mine go out. I didn't believe the code reader and cleaned all kinds of parts and wasted a bunch of time before finally biting the bullet and changing the sensor. two bolts and a snap connector near the distributor. 20 minutes later, and I haven't had a problem in 6 months now. that was the fix.

Quick Reply: new guy with an engine issue