2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

weak lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak lifter?

i noticed the other day that when i get down on the gas i hear a pretty good valve rattle or rocker arm rattle. today i had to slow down for a car turnin in front of me and when i took back of i got on it a little i think it was in 2nd and i see some smoke in the rear veiw. the truck dont burn any oil. so i slowed down again and kicked it again and sure enuff it started smoken right when the vavle rattle started. any one got a idea of what this is. ive ran higher octan gas so i know its not that. thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you stick and where were is the sound from? I've noticed a noise in mine when im bogged down in gear like below 1500 but I haven't been able to pin point it. maybe the same thing. I haven't noticed any smoke tho...jw

Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM
frydaddy82
Veteran

ita a auto and it only does it from about 2000 and up when im hard on the gas. it sounds like its comin from the passenger side of the motor.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran

ok so today every time i steped on it you could hear the rattle like a lose rocker arm. some times it would be raisen hell and other times it wasnt that bad. kinda like a spark knock but a few times it was pretty loud. i changed valve cover gaskets the other day and while i had the covers off i inspected the rockers pretty good and didnt see nothin wrong. i had my wife bump the motor over while i played with every one. not a one was lose when both valves were closed. the top of the heads were really clean so its been taken care of. no build up of oil or anything. im thinkn it could be a timen chain? ive heard them get pretty loud befor. any one got any ideas on this.

Quick Reply: weak lifter?