2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anyone here ever reglued the window regulator to the window?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
MaximRecoil
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here ever reglued the window regulator to the window?

If so, what did you use for adhesive? The Chrysler dealership in my area said they use 3M Structural Adhesive, while other people say they use 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive on the regulator clips and primer on the glass.

Also, regardless of the type of adhesive used, it generally says it should be cured at room temperature. Will it cure at all outside in the winter (20 or 30 degrees F)? I don't have a garage at all, much less a heated one.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I re-glued mine using Black RTV. It's been fine for five years now.
Just clean the glass & the track it rides in real good first.
Find a heated space to put your truck in would be best. Or, I'd leave the
window in the up-position for over 24 hrs before using it if left in the cold.
Maybe use one of those cheap rear-window car defrosters that you plug into
your lighter outlet. Leave the door panel off, set up the heater so it blows on the
window track for an hour or so. (Not to close). Just close enough to keep it warm
while it cures. Leave the car running with the door closed so you don't drain the
battery down while doing it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Yeah, I cleaned out the regulator clips already. I removed them from the regulator and brought them inside. The old adhesive was in there thick, and hard as a rock. I tried prying at it with a small screwdriver, but it was quickly apparent that that would have taken forever. Then I heated the old adhesive with a propane torch, and that softened it up, and it all came right out easily.

The small heater might work fine. I was thinking of taking the window out and gluing the clips to it inside the house, but I decided against that because I want to be able to roll the window up completely while the adhesive is still wet so that it naturally aligns the clips to the correct position on the glass, and then cures in that position.

Last edited by MaximRecoil; 01-31-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
89newbie
Captain

I was having a window problem with the 89 and the pass. one was stiff on the 94. I am a pesimist but O.K. enough pam in tracks to cook a zillion whatever. Guess what? windows not a problem today. Ill fix it right in the spring or summer, maby...

Last edited by 89newbie; 01-31-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 AM
MaximRecoil
Professional

The glass place wanted $60 to do it, which was ridiculous considering I have everything apart and cleaned, and I would be putting it back together afterwards. All they would need to do is use a bit of their glue in the clips and roll up the window. They base their price on doing the whole thing from start to finish (including removing the door panel and putting it back on), and it doesn't matter that they wouldn't have to do any of that in this case; they still want $60. They did tell me what they use though: 3M urethane windshield adhesive and primer.

I looked into buying the stuff myself at the local autoparts store, but the 3M urethane windshield adhesive only seems to come in a 10.5 oz. tube which works with a caulking gun, and that is $15, plus you are supposed to use primer on the glass and bare metal, and the 3M primer is $30 for a 4 oz. can. That's $45 for something I'd only use once, and I'd still have the cold weather problem to deal with.

The counter guy at the parts store was quite certain you didn't need the primer, despite the instructions on the back which said you do. He asked a co-worker, "Hey, the body shop guys that buy this stuff, they never buy primer with it do they?" He said, "No ... except for Terry." So I got this Terry fellow's phone number (he has a body shop), and I gave him a call. So he's going to use the adhesive and primer that he already has on hand, plus he's going to keep my truck in his garage overnight for it to cure properly ... for $20. That sounds good to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever reglued the window regulator to the window?