2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is the ashtray supposed to be lighted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 AM
MaximRecoil
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the ashtray supposed to be lighted?

This truck has the worst ashtray I've ever used in a vehicle (small, not within easy reach, and no built-in spot for crushing out the cigarette); and it is practically unusable at night without it being lighted.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 AM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

If it's the same as the 2000, yes it is. Pull the ashtray out and look at the top of the area that the ashtray goes in. You should see a slit with two metal pieces sticking out. That's the lamp holder. Unscrew the metal frame at the back and it should drop down. Don't just yank this out or you'll break the wires that power that light. Press together the two metal tines mentioned before and the holder will come loose. Then pull the metal cover off and you're looking at the bulb. I don't remember what the bulb size is supposed to be, but I used a 194 in mine with no issues.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Thanks. I know they changed the dash in 2001, so I don't know if things would be different than your 2000 for the ashtray light or not. I'll have to take a good look at it tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

I'm looking at the Haynes and the Chiltons. They say they're the same. BTW, I use one of the Bobken ashtrays that can go in the cupholder or hang on the door. It works much better...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Originally Posted by cycodude
I'm looking at the Haynes and the Chiltons. They say they're the same.
Excellent, thanks. The 2001 FSM seems to be silent on the subject (unless I'm not looking in the right place).

BTW, I use one of the Bobken ashtrays that can go in the cupholder or hang on the door. It works much better...
Yeah, I've thought about that, but I only have one cupholder down on the shifter console, and my bottle of Coke is always there. I wouldn't want one hanging from my door. You'd think they could have designed a decent ashtray in the first place (it isn't rocket science); I've never seen such a ridiculous design and placement for an ashtray before.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See a reason to quit lol jk but yeah I have noticed they are far away I dont even use mine well my cb is in the way so it cant be used.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
See a reason to quit lol jk but yeah I have noticed they are far away I dont even use mine well my cb is in the way so it cant be used.
haha I was going to say the same thing, quit smokin those cancer sticks and you wouldn't have a problem lol. My 02 doesn't have an ash tray but my 01 did and would always fall down everytime I hit a bump. And I don't remember if it was lit or not. I don't think it was.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a tiny light on the 01's but the spring thing that opens it is broken so it stays shut.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Originally Posted by thunder98110
there is a tiny light on the 01's but the spring thing that opens it is broken so it stays shut.
I don't know what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by cycodude
If it's the same as the 2000, yes it is. Pull the ashtray out and look at the top of the area that the ashtray goes in. You should see a slit with two metal pieces sticking out. That's the lamp holder. Unscrew the metal frame at the back and it should drop down. Don't just yank this out or you'll break the wires that power that light. Press together the two metal tines mentioned before and the holder will come loose. Then pull the metal cover off and you're looking at the bulb. I don't remember what the bulb size is supposed to be, but I used a 194 in mine with no issues.
I think mine is different (and judging from pictures of 2000 Dakota interiors, the ashtray from the outside looks different). I looked at mine briefly today (but I didn't have a flashlight with me to get a good look), and I didn't see the things you mentioned after pulling out the little ashtray box.

Has anyone here replaced the ashtray light on a 2001 - 2004?

Last edited by MaximRecoil; 02-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the ashtray supposed to be lighted?