2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 dak transfer case service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dak transfer case service...

Well i hit the 100k mark and decided to do a transfer case service. I crawled under my truck and looked at my fill plug and noticed that the previous owner or lube mechanic completely stripped the allen bit hole out of the fill plug.
I mean that fill plug is stripped and will not come out... any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try a screw extractor if you know what that is.If not its a tool thats threaded like a screw but the threads are in the opposite direction and bites into the bolt when you twist it.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly it is rather large plug. Do you think you could drill it out and use a self tapping oil plug to thread the new hole. Just a thought.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is steel, now I am just throwing this out there, but possible weld a bolt to it to be able to turn it out.

Or a screw extractor. The only problem is if you need to drill through it you are going to get shavings inside of the case, and you might as well open it up.

If the screw extractor will grab try it, without drilling. If not, I would consider welding something to it to grab hold of.

I think it is only torqued to 30 ft-lbs so it isn't too bad.

The other thing I would try would be to go buy a larger sized torx bit, and see if you can't jam it in there and get it to bite. I've done this with smaller allen sockets I have stripped, but I don't own a set of torx bits big enough for that allen size.

Last edited by dbilik; 02-17-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out today and got a 5 set of pipe nipple extractors and found that the 3/8 one fits pretty dam tight. I did not try to take the fill plug out just yet because i need to use my truck this weekend and don't want to risk it being down with metal shavings in the transfer case.
Ill keep you posted on how that works out...

I as wondering if that fill plug was steel or not? I too was wondering if i could tap a bolt into the stripped hole and weld it in place to take the fill plug out? Thats going to be the next step if the pipe nipple extractors don't work.

here is the set i picked up, if any one was wondering...
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0459832&ucst=t

There just like the screw extractors just stubby and more thicker. Which is good since theirs not a lot of room to swing a hammer to tap the extractors in place.

Quick Reply: 99 dak transfer case service...