2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
dank1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering help

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad cab w/ 4.7L V-8. Its only a sport with nothing special. Last winter my rack and pinion went out. I replaced it and the power steering pump (wishfully thinking it was the pump and not the rack). This year the pump went out again. I replaced the pump and it started leaking really bad from where the reservoir met the pump. I tried a couple different O rings and nothing helped. Then I used a sealant for the o ring and it held but then I got no preasure in the PS system. My best friend is an ASE certified mechanic and he is stumped. He specializes in diesel engines though. Is there something we are missing here? Something specific to this truck? We've taken the pump off and put it back on near a dozen times.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 AM
dakoman859
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 4.7 quad cab has the same problem the o-ring went so i replaced it then went again then replaced it again and it work for a long time but its leaking again now not as bad it will go for months without needing any fluid then wen you top it up its like a never ending top up u just keep dumpin it in but it will take like a liter before it shows on the resivoir

Quick Reply: Power Steering help