2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.2 running just a cat(vid)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
If you realized what a firm shift really was, you would change you mind about yours lol. Dodge trannys (especially 42,44,46re's) don't not shift firm at all.
I dont know any harder shift and and I would have whiplash lol got to remember my tranny is messed up so maybe thats the reason. Watch my vid closly when it shifts there is some good camera movement and im not holding it free hand its sitting on my dash and im just holding it at the back trying to keep it still. Ill have to tell my buddy to do it in his jeep so I can tell if its a big difference.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sct has your truck make firmer shifts liike at WOT it dont go all the way back down in the rpms ,its shifts and stays higher in RPMS which is better for the tranny and is alot better for the motor ! alot more power and alot more fun its worth the 265 man. here a some runs with my 5.9 kinda crappy though need a better day to do WOT runs . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y87To6bKh5Q

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to hijack with a vid of mine but that thing sounds bad *** haha wish mine was that deep but after watching both its either I shift like a ***** or its not a huge difference from the auto to 5 speed...excuse my gay commentary haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFicTtmhwY

Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

arew these truck like shift a dump truck, reason i ask is because im looking at a 99 5 speed with the 5.2 .

Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
arew these truck like shift a dump truck, reason i ask is because im looking at a 99 5 speed with the 5.2 .
only with the stock shifter...I have the hurst and granted I dont beat the hell out of my truck ever really it's not to bad.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastrights
I'm really used to mine by now so I think it shifts pretty nice for a truck (at least compared to my '96 F-150) but I drove my best friends 04 Mach 1 and it made mine feel terrible/loose but obviously there is a big difference because one is a truck and one is a performance car. But overall I think mine shifts smooth. The worst part for me is my throttle is really touchy which makes shifting smooth hard at first. Took me a while to get used to it.

Anyone else think their throttle is touchy? Or is it just me?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I'm really used to mine by now so I think it shifts pretty nice for a truck (at least compared to my '96 F-150) but I drove my best friends 04 Mach 1 and it made mine feel terrible/loose but obviously there is a big difference because one is a truck and one is a performance car. But overall I think mine shifts smooth. The worst part for me is my throttle is really touchy which makes shifting smooth hard at first. Took me a while to get used to it.

Anyone else think their throttle is touchy? Or is it just me?
i've gotten used to the "light flywheel syndrome" aka popping the throttle or whatever the honda's and mustang's do when taking off if you know what I mean haha...and other than starting sometimes I don't think its to bad in these trucks...if you or someone gets it bucking hang out though...every girl i've tried to teach in my truck has made me cringe.

Quick Reply: 5.2 running just a cat(vid)