2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Mechanical Oil psi gauge install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Oil psi gauge install (pics)

So i had said something to jondakotaguy about installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge since the stock one sucks and the only numbers on mine is 40 and 110. So i had been wanting to do it myself so i started on it tonight. I got the easy part done now but i still have to go back to advance and get a T so i can keep the stock oil psi sensor attached so the light wont be on. But heres what i got so far. Oh and i already had the spare wire and wire nuts so the only expenses so far is $17.99 for the gauge but like i said i gotta go back and get the T.

i wired the light by hooking the hot straight to the fuse for the dash lights, this way the gauge comes on when my dash lights do and it will dim if i dim the lights. The wire to the left is the ground.

This seemed like the best place to mount it where its easily viewable. It came with the mounting screws which are pointed so i was able to force them through the plastic without having to predrill the holes.

I still gotta run the oil line and hook that up, hopefully i can get it done this weekend since im puttin on my new coil as well. I'll also add more pics when i do that part.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Nice! It looks good. I was looking at getting oil and temp gauges. They make pillars too for the Dakotas, they're about 30 bucks but you could probably find them for cheaper. I figured there's really no point in me having them right now, other than it looks cool so I decided to hold off on it and save my money for new stuff I actually need like tires haha.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Nice! It looks good. I was looking at getting oil and temp gauges. They make pillars too for the Dakotas, they're about 30 bucks but you could probably find them for cheaper. I figured there's really no point in me having them right now, other than it looks cool so I decided to hold off on it and save my money for new stuff I actually need like tires haha.
yeah i need tires to lol but i figured 18 bucks? eeeh why not. But i do plan on eventually getting a triple gauge pillar one day.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to do something like that but in a pillar thinking about oil,engine and tranny temp. So many things so little money lol.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM
dirtbiker
Captain

Yeah that would be cool bigreed. That's what I am hoping to do... eventually ramguy, whether in this truck or not lol. And I know what you mean by so much to do so little money. It sucks!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

Here's the fitting i put together, the oil line will go into the side and the oil pressure switch on top.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

Well i had finished this last week but had the plastic tube that came with running over the steering column under the dash and it somehow snapped. So i bought the copper line and just got done putting it in, it was a lot easier the second time though.

Here's the fitting with the line to the right, kinda hard to get to but not to bad.

Here you can see i have everything hidden

This is the gauge at idle with the truck at full operating temp. At first start with the motor cold it read 60psi and after warming up all the way 20psi, and 40psi goin through town

Quick Reply: Mechanical Oil psi gauge install (pics)