2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear diff fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Lebbie54
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff fluid change

Looking at changing my rear diff fluid, I am going to put in royal purple gear lube. I have read about doing it and heard a couple different things that I want to ask from someone who has done it. I have read that using brake cleaner or other degreaser to clean out the left over bits of old fluid once the bulk of it is drained. Is this normal and should be done or not? Also I know that they sell both rtv sealant and gasket for the rear diff. Which one is better to use?

Finally any other suggestions for a first timer on this project?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start by removing all the bolts and take all of them out but one or 2 at the top just unscrew them about half way get your pan under it and pry the cover off with a screw driver. Once drained take the other bolt out and then start to clean the gasket material off the cover and the axle with a razor blade. Once thats done use brake cleaner to clean off the axle cover and spray down the grears and case also. Make sure you get any gasket material that might of fell in and make sure the brake clean is all dry and not laying in there. Then you can use either a gasket or rtv(I only use rtv and it holds fine) Then slap it back together.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

Not sure...I never spray any solvents into the rear. It may be harmless, but I never do. Royal purple has served me well though!

I drape a few paper towels or a rag over the gears when scraping the gasket...then you're sure nothing gets in there.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
qcdakota5sp

I did this twice on my Mustang. Make sure you have some gloves for this job, I think the vinyl throw-away ones are good, because the gear oil is really hard on your skin if you get some on you. It also allows you to get your hand in the bottom of the diff and 'scoop' out as much of the shavings/oil as possible.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
04crewcabsport
Amateur

Just to add: torque the bolts to the proper specs. This to avoid any leakage issues. I don't have the proper lbs at the moment, but some people here can comment.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

its only like 35ft.lbs not that much real easy job, i recommend getting one of the drain pans with an open top on it so there is less mess and wear a face mask that stuff smells nasty

Quick Reply: Rear diff fluid change