2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

O/H console mod took a dump

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
rewster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile O/H console mod took a dump

This kind of a strange one and there's nothing in the owners manual on it so you guys are the best resource to get some answers. I recently did the mod thats on here, dakota-durango.com, dakotaquadsquad.com, and a few other places to add the overhead trip computer to my 2001 club cab SLT (replacing the dumb clip thing). I got it wired and used a 2-pin amb air temp sensor of a ram instead, which is working beautifully. But there are 2 issues:

1) The compass will NOT calibrate or respond correctly. I tried (as described on quadsquads directions) to press the US/M then the STEP buttons until the "CAL" appeared and do 3 slow circles. But when I do this step, I get a "VAR" message a can scroll from digits 1 - about 14??? No clue what this is about but none of them get my compass on track.

2) The mileage / fuel numbers NEVER came up. I thought that on accident I reversed the wires on the OBDii plug connection, so i switch them, but still no luck. I did, in an effort to be lazy, used twisted 14 ga speakerwires since its already run as a pair. Like I said, I twisted it and insulated around the wires with electrical tape, but still these wires are in a way still very close.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks gang. PS - also laid in 2 new LED switches on the back to run to my front HELLA 500's and rear backup auxillary lights. B.A. looking

Quick Reply: O/H console mod took a dump