2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
xCLIPxSTALKERx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need stereo help

Hey guys i just bought a 02 dakota and want to transfer my stereo over from my 96 pathfinder.
I have a pioneer DEH-6000usb head unit and for some reason i cant find how to mount it. i bought a schorce head unit dash panel to fill in the excess from the stock head unit and the wiring harness but i dont know how to mount the unit to the dash.

I noticed the stock unit mounts to the plate then the plate mounts onto the dash. there are no holes to mount mine this way. and i may have lost a mount bracket back when i bought the new unit but im not sure.

so if someone can help me out it would be awesome im lost.
if you need pictures of the deck and mount plate just let me know

Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to walmart and get a car kit they are like 12.00.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you already have the dash mounting kit for your Dakota, it sounds like you are missing the mounting sleeve for your Pioneer deck. The mounting sleeve slides into the dash kit and then you just bend the little tabs back around the back side of the kit to hold the sleeve in place, then the deck clicks into place in the sleeve. You are probably missing the trim ring for the Pioneer deck too, that is the plastic trim piece that snaps around the front of the deck. This would make perfect sense because when the deck is mounted in the dash of a Pathfinder it was probably iso-mounted and the installer did not use the Pioneer's sleeve or trim ring. Iso-mount means the deck was screwed to the metal brackets that were on the original Nissan radio so there was no need to use the sleeve and the faceplate of the deck was just the right size to fit through the dash trim panel opening, so there was no need for the trim ring either. There was probably a storage pocket mounted below the deck in the Pathfinder. The best thing would be to contact a local Pioneer car audio shop and they will most likely have the trim ring and mounting sleeve. They might just give you the parts or maybe charge a few bucks for them. Take your Pioneer unit with you to be sure you get the right parts. Best Buy might have them but your better shot at locating the parts is at a local independent car audio shop. If you don't have it already, pick up the wiring harness to connect the Pioneer deck to the Dodge factory radio wiring harness, it makes things a lot easier and eliminates the guess work when you install the Pioneer in your Dakota.

Jimmy

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Trent479
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes as Jimmy said, i believe you are missing thr sleev for the pioneer unit its self or the trim. you can easily get them are wal-mart, or even check best-buys automotive installation where they do sound systems and they usually have a lot of spare goods to choose from.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Walmart will not have the sleeve and trim ring as separate parts available for purchase. The OP needs to go to a car audio store that sells Pioneer. He might be able to get the parts from Best Buy but they usually don't keep spare parts. I know because I used to work there and unless they have changed their loss prevention policies their installers have to put any spare parts back in the box the deck is shipped in and give them back to the customer. Best Buy will not keep anything in their shop that they can not attach a SKU to it or put a price tag on it and sell it.

The OP could check at a Best Buy just to be sure but his best bet to locate the parts he needs will be at an independent car audio shop that sells Pioneer. If he can't find the parts locally he could do a Google search for Pioneer car audio parts and order what he needs from a licensed Pioneer parts dealer or take his chances with ebay.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 05-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Need stereo help