2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air cleaners vs CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011 | 11:38 PM
NickCornell
|
Veteran
Default Air cleaners vs CAI

Will a 5 1/8 air cleaner fit on my 2003 3.9 2wd with zero modification? What benefits come with an air cleaner as opposed to a stock intake. Anything comparable to a CAI?

Old 05-11-2011 | 10:20 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Not sure about the fit, just as I was not sure 100% about mind untill I went out and made some measurements..

As far as comparing them.. well, CAI (A real one) would draw in cooler air and would in theory give you a slight boost of power, where as a so-called HOT CAI (Still sucking air from the hot engine compartment) Would be better than the stock airbox sure.. as it would still be able to suck more air when needed.

The Stock air box, not only because of the flex tubing.. but as well as mainly the elbow that is pointing to the firewall, and not even going all the way there (Such a poor design) there is restriction and the amount that cam go through there.. but IMO the main problem is that the flat drop in filter is only partially used.. Run your truck and you'll see the area right below the main intake tube going to the TB is the dirtiest area.. so there is not an even flow/usage through the stock intake box.. compared to a round filter on the end of a CAI.. thus with this example the CAI round filter would suck more or rather have the potential to suck more air through than the factory box.

If you can get air from outside the truck and keep it cool all the way up the TB that is the ultimate goal.. even to have some sort of "ram-air" or Ram induction.. or hood scoop.. but remember with more air= the potential to burn more gas as the PCU tries to adjust the A/F mixture to compensate for the increase of air. so people say..

As far as the Air Cleaner.. people will argue that they are not as good as a CAI as they are sucking hot air right off the engine.. (Rightfully so, they do) however I just like them.. They have been used for years and years.. on hot rodds and racers alike.. Remember these CAI really did not become popular or really in production like they are now.. untill after the rice buner explosion.. Trucks started getting away from round filters and started using these air boxes on the side of the trucks.. rather than a round filter.. they conserve space off the top of the motor.. and other such things.. IDK if i'm getting off topic here.. but.. in any case..

They will give you IMO better throttle response than the stock air box will by having the potential for more air flow.. as far as vs CAI.. there are K & N kits that claim a boost of 2-3HP (UP to 10hp) for their CAI kits vs the Air Cleaner up to 6hp for previous year (Referencing my truck) with all things being mostly the same from 96-97 for the most part..

Mainly.. I like the look and sound produced from an open Air cleaner.. its more truck and manly TO ME... IMO..

I do not really like the idea of a tube going to an open round airfilter like that.. that's more Rice burner.. and belongs no where on a truck.. but again my personal opinion for my TRUCK.. not to say they are not good or look good on other's trucks.. Just my opinion on what i like.

As far as I'm concerned.. the Air Cleaner like we are discussing and I am putting on my truck IMO and IMO only.. would give a quicker/higher volume of potential air than one stuck on the end of a tube.. less travel time.. and all that..

but to really make one of these pop better than one of those tubed CAI's would be to have a scoop or induction hood where it draws air from the outside directly.. than the hot engine air..

I'm sure ppl will correct me on anything i might have misspoke on..

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 05-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2011 | 03:35 PM
NickCornell
|
Veteran

The big question remains... What kind of round air cleaner will fit ?

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:19 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

You have the 5-1/8 TB correct? with the black air hat that points up right?

Old 05-11-2011 | 08:21 PM
NickCornell
|
Veteran
Old 05-11-2011 | 11:38 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yupp.. you should be able to fit an open Air Cleaner as well a CAI on it.. which ever one you decide to go with.. You should at least be able to get a 10" by 3.5" (2" filter) on there..

Quick Reply: Air cleaners vs CAI