2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Multiple Problems 1997 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
aevans0001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Problems 1997 Dakota

Ok First problem is ther e a known problem with the AC compressors locking up and destroying the serpentine belt?

This is my second one, is there nay suggestions?

Also having issues with the heater, fan motor blows as normal and coolant level is full but I get no heat to come out.

Any help???

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it the second belt or second compressor? If the compressor is shredding the belt maybe you can get a warranty replacement. It could also be there is a pulley or maybe the tensioner is out of line causing the belt to not run true and it gets eaten up by one of the pulleys. That happened to me when I first bought my truck, it kept slinging the belt off. A new belt didn't fix the problem. I bought a new tensioner at Napa and it has been fine ever since. If your compressor is the problem, you could buy a new belt for a Dakota with no A/C so you can bypass the compressor until you get the problem fixed.

The heat problem is could be a plugged or clogged heater core. That is a common problem on Dakota's. There are a lot of threads here on the flush procedure. You can disconnect the heater hoses, direct one hose into a 5 gallon bucket and run water from a garden hose into the other heater hose. You will probably see a bunch of nasty gunk come out of the hose in the bucket. Flush it that way for a few minutes until the water runs clear then reverse the hoses and flush in the opposite direction for a few minutes. Don't use too much water pressure from the garden hose, you don't want to dislodge any crap that could get flushed back into the engine block. Then top off the coolant/water in your radiator.

The heat problem could be a bad thermostat too. Check the radiator hoses when the truck is idling at operating temperature. The upper hose should be hot and the lower hose should be cool to the touch. Anything different and you might have a stuck thermostat. If it hasn't been replaced in the last few years it might be a good idea to replace it now anyway.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 05-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM
aevans0001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it is the Air compressor keeps locking up on me, which in turn shreds the belt. I replaced the compressor one time and now it happened again.

Thanks for the hints on the heater core....

Quick Reply: Multiple Problems 1997 Dakota