2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Did Seafoam treatment and idle is rough now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM
MikeCzipri
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Seafoam treatment and idle is rough now?

Not sure whats going on...thought seafoam was supposed to clear crap out and make the idle smoother...but I did the seafoam treatment last night as directed (I've done it 10x before on other vehicles I've had and never had a problem, and I know I'm doing it correctly) and now the idle is kinda rough. Engine runs great once I'm on the throttle...definately better than before...but the idle is WAY rougher than it was...not too bad, but I can notice a difference.

This is the first time I've done seafoam on my truck, and after I was done the check engine light came on. I disconnected the positive on the battery and it cleared the check engine light, but now it idles rough.

Any ideas on why and what I can do to fix it? It's not a major shake, just feels kinds lumpy..almost like I have a big camshaft...but we all know I don't...its a 3.7L V-6....

Any ideas?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont really know but as long as it dont sound like a diesel keep ripping around.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM
BLSHOG10
Rookie

i haven't seafoam my truck or any car for that matter but from my research i have read that at times the spark plugs get affected some how .... i dont know how that explains the check engine light tho.....

Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Lov24x4

The only time I have used an engine cleaner is a for knock or a valve noise from build up. How long did you run it for to clear it out? If the smoke has stopped and the engine is still running rough but will go away at a high rpm, my best guess would be a vacuum leak.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the truck shake/jerk/shutter/ miss feeling when you take your foot off the break and dont give any gas?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

There is no shake or jutter when I take my foot off....i sprayed the other half of the can into the brake booster line instead of the throttle body, and then did about 10 full throttle half-mile runs and,that seems to have helped alot.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine code was probably for an o2 sensor because of all the smoke and crap in the exhaust.Did it idle rough before you unplugged the battery?Sometimes the idle air control takes a little while to find the right position after the battery has been unplugged.Have you drove it around since doing the seafoam?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

I would take a look at your spark plugs. As all that carbon is burned up in the cylinders, sometimes it will leave a residue on the spark plugs. It's usually a good idea to just plan on swapping out the plugs after using SeaFoam because this, just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

Originally Posted by Derek2002
The engine code was probably for an o2 sensor because of all the smoke and crap in the exhaust.Did it idle rough before you unplugged the battery?Sometimes the idle air control takes a little while to find the right position after the battery has been unplugged.Have you drove it around since doing the seafoam?
It didnt really idle "rough" before...I mean it wasnt smooth like a Cadillac but it's not a cadillac, its a truck.

It has gotten alot better since I did the seafoam, I have driven it approx. 200 miles (probably 10-15 of them at full throttle to clear out any crap) and it' smoothed out a decent amount.

I added 24 oz to the gas tank and filled up w/ some 93 octane Chevron gas so I'm thinking the combo of the techron in the gas and the seafoam I added should help too.

I also added 5 oz to the engine oil to free up any gunk in there. Shouldn't be much because ever since I've had the truck I've used NOTHING but 5w-30 synthetic oil either Syntec or Mobil 1 whichever is cheaper at Walmart at the time.

I'm gonna give it so to burn through this tank of gas and see what's up then. That's about 400 miles so that should definately give the seafoam in the tank enough time to do it's job.

On the bright side...I average about 17 mpg in the city...and I just filled up about an hour ago...since the seafoam treatment I drove 183 miles...and it only took 9.9 gallons to fill up! Thats over 18 mpg...and I drove it MUCH harder than I normally do, because after I did the seafoam in the vaccuum lines I did at least 10 half-mile long full throttle pulls from 0-100mph or so to help burn up any carbon and clear out the seafoam, and I was driving it pretty hard on purpose for the first 50 miles after the seafoam treatment.

I'm pretty confident that I would have seen 19+ mpg if I would have driven normally, but then again if I would have driven normally then I wouldn't be doing what I was supposed to do....it says on the can to "Drive aggressively" after treatment....so I did! Drove the bizzalls off my truck for a good 20 minutes at full throttle...

So it definitely DID have a pretty significant mpg effect, and I'm pretty damn happy with that.

It idles a little smoother than before I did the treatment, and I definatel notice that it runs smoother and revs easier too. I guess there was a decent amount of gunk built up in the motor even though it only has 49 k miles....but it's also a 7 year old truck.

Overall I'm very satisfied.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 PM
HDPursuit

++++

My post from a different thread.

Hey Folks, 1 month update!

Ran 1/3 can into the vacuum lines 2/3 into the fuel tank. Improved the response noticeably. Waited a week and ran a second can, 2/3 intake and 1/3 fuel, changed out the plugs and swapped the 16 inch tires for a set of 15 inch tires and rims off a 2000 2wd parts truck. Now about 3 weeks the 'kota is running pretty good. Response is much improved, power+, shifting points are closer to where I think they should be and here's the kicker mileage went from 13-14 to 17. !! (I hate 'story' problems, math !@#$) The 'kota is setting alittle lower but I haven't hung it up yet on the trails. The Seafoam and the tires made a huge difference in how the truck was running, and for 3 mpg I'll give up the bigger tires for now.

Quick Reply: Did Seafoam treatment and idle is rough now?