2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
rayellis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi

Just want to introduce myself and say I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L Quad cab. The truck has been real good until of late; it seems to have some kind of electrical problem.

The wife drives this truck most of the time and it has been giving her fits. The engine light comes on with a PO500 ,PO300,PO306 and PO308. I have a scanner and I know what each code means but every time I fix it comes back soon after. The PO500 is the VSS or that is one of the main suspects ; so I replaced it. PO300 and PO306,PO308 are cylinder fire misses and each cylinder they missed on. I have replaced the plugs and it goes away for short time but comes back.

So after replacing the VSS sensor I thought I would be OK but it is still doing the same things and engine light is on. The symptoms are every few minutes you loose your tach,speedometer and AC cuts off. Brake and ABS light comes on. You also will get a occasional air bag light will come on. This only happens for a few seconds but it happens a lot.

I have had some brake light issues before with the ABS and brake lights coming on so I flushed the system with brake fluid and filled. This worked for a few months but now it has come back.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thank You
Ray

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move tis thread to the second generation Dakota section,
FF

Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM
rayellis
Default Newbie

Thanks, for moving this thread and sorry I got into my problem so quickly. I will give this some time to fix but have decided in a week or so to go to the stealer (dealer) and have it looked at. I can work on this but with these kinds of problems hard for me to troubleshoot.

Dodge does not seem to make cars/trucks like they used to. I guess none of the automakers do anymore. I see you have a Coronet and Demon a friend of mine has a 69' Coronet and another has 2 Dusters,Demon and a Skamp. Old Mopar power that's what I'm talking about. Personally, I have been a 69' Camaro guy but don't hold that against me. My friend says only little boys ware bow ties. You know Chevy bow tie I get that a lot from him.

Thanks Again
Ray

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
rayellis
Default Newbie

I got the truck back from the dealer yesterday and we decided to fix our self. Dealer says needs new steering column,tps and a compression test. I did not think a new steering column would solve anything and it cost $1400 just for that.

I put new tps and new plugs after I ran compression test. Test came out fine and I new it would I had just done one less than six months ago. The dealer thinks that the column is pulling wires and may have some shorts in the column. We have had the floppy column for a while since someone broke it at the car wash. This is a possibility but since I have changed these parts everything looks good and works.

The spark plugs I changed 2 of them looked really bad a little corroded and orange in color. These came out of cylinders #6 and #8 and were the ones that OBD scanner code said were misfiring.

Hope for this to work and will keep looking for any symptoms to return.

Thanks
Ray

Quick Reply: Newbie