2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My new 2002 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new 2002 Dakota

Hey guys,

Finally made that decision, just purchased my new 2002 Dakota 3.9l Reg Cab, sport edition, blue in colour.

This will replace my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix as my daily driver, plus the truck helps a lot out at work. Mechanically she's perfect, just had the exhaust replaced from the cat back, no rust and oil sprayed yearly. Was driven by an old man so I doubt she's been beaten.

I've got big plans for this baby, she's only got about 49k on her. I'll probably start out with some window tint, install a CAI, possibly lift it and just maybe some straight pipes, who knows! Paid only $7,000 for it, what a steal!

I'll post some pictures when I go to pick it up on Friday.

I've got one quick question, i'm planning on switching my Pioneer Deck from my Grand Prix into the truck, does the dakota require a special type of wiring harness? My Grand Prix required a $100 factory adapter, if I can cheap out and avoid one, I certainly will!

Thanks guys!
Kyle

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Brian2001
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought an adapter at walmart for like 14 bucks. and a dash kit for like 20.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian2001
i bought an adapter at walmart for like 14 bucks. and a dash kit for like 20.
+1 on this. the adapter is cheap and so is the dash kit and walmart is the place to get them. as long as its a single-din head unit you will be fine, but double-din would require custom work. other than that installation is easy and pretty straight forward

Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The audio system in your new Dakota is very different from the one in a Pontiac. The GM system runs the audio through the body control module and also interfaces with OnStar. They are also low voltage systems and that is why you needed the expensive interface for the Pontiac. The system in your Dakota is either a simple deck with its own power output or if you have the Infinity system there is a separate main amplifier down in the passenger's kick panel. Both run on regular 12 volt power. You will know if you have the amplified system, it is there if you have separate tweeters on the door panels.

Either way it's easy to install a new deck in your Dakota. You can get the dash mounting kit and wire harness at Walmart, Autozone, Best Buy, or any good car audio shop. Both parts together should cost maybe $25.00 or $30.00. You just connect the wires color for color from the Pioneer deck to the mating wire harness. If you have the Infinity amplifier be sure to connect the blue/white remote on to either the blue/white or solid blue wire on the mating harness. This will trigger the amplifier to turn on when the deck is on. Otherwise, you have no sound. If you have the plain deck and radio system, just wire the harness up and it should work fine. The dash kit should include instructions on removing the factory radio.

Congrats on the new truck.

Jimmy

Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks guys,

Last time I checked it didn't have the Infinity upgrade, so there is a good chance it would be single-DIN. Correct me if I'm wrong as I am no expert, but the difference between single and double DIN just refers to the spacing between the stock radio fitting inside the dash correct?

I just have one of those cheap Pioneer decks just so I could use my iPod in my car. Here it is just in case you needed/wanted to know: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301300...EH-1300MP.html

And as for the price damn thats good! The adapter for my Grand Prix was $100 like I said before, and a mounting kid would have cost me around $70, but I chose to redneck the **** out of it hahaha.

Thanks once again, i'll have her by friday

Quick Reply: My new 2002 Dakota