2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How to get rid of rat smell.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you cant mask a smell for long if its just by using an air freshener. you gotta get it out of the material or w.e its bonded too.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Soapy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a detail shop and have a few ideas. As said before you need to extract all the fabric surfaces with a good extractor not just a shampoo. Most times the urine has sunk down into the foam backing of carpet seats etc. so shampoo will only get the stuff on top out. We use a product called Odor Ban that you can get at Sams club. It will break down the urine and take away the smell. Spray the odor ban liberally and then extract after it has had time to do its thing. We then would get everything dry and use a Ozone generator for a few hours. It will also break down organic smells. After it gets concentrated set the heater vents to recirculate so that he Ozone gets cycled through the vents. Some stores will carry cans of Ozone so you don"t need your own Ozone machine. Keep the doors shut and let the Ozone stay in the cab area as long as possible.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:14 AM
vimnjicki
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with the ozone generator don't I still need to get rid of the dried urine? That's the issue I'm dealing with right now. Not only getting rid of the smell but also cleaning the areas where there is still dried urine and/or fecal matter. It sounds like the ozone will take care of the smell but will it take care of the "organic matter" that is perpetuating the smell? Thanks for the feedback and ideas. If ozone destroys the organic matter, I will not be removing the heater/AC core this weekend.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 AM
DeceptioN

Hot box the thing with some incense. I'd take it all out and shampoo everything and make sure nothing is dead and hidden still inside.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

what about hit it with some primer? should cover up any smell... kind of like you do to a house with cat/dog ****

Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM
vimnjicki
Professional

hey Deception. I think I posted it earlier. I have stripped everything out of the truck's interior except the headliner, which will be next, not only because of the possible odor contamination but also because of cigarette burns and such. Carpet is out and will be destroyed after I use it as a template for the new one. Seats will be replaced in their order. Plastic panels have all been sprayed and wiped down with Chlorine bleach then dried as well as all the interior weatherstripping and metal surfaces. Every accessible surface on the removed dash panel, exterior and interior, have been washed with clear water, soapy water, bleach and then rinsed and dried. This weekend, it looks like, will be the removal of the heater/AC core for cleaning and disinfecting. Looks like overhaulin' for my truck. Any other ideas are welcome.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Soapy
Amateur

Spray Odor Ban liberally in the vents. It has bacteria enzymes that will eat and destroy the urine etc. When dry follow up with Ozone.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
vimnjicki
Professional

Okay. Took apart the heater core box and saw how nasty the heater core "radiator" looks. Sprayed it with bleach, washed the whole thing down as much as I could reach with fingers and toothbrush. Blew it all out with my compressor and wow, the smell is significantly reduced already. I think even the dust that had settled in there from being 14 years old stunk. I'm like 90% sure I can re-assemble the dash and go with the Odor ban and ozone. Just to make sure, I think I will also get new seats even though I washed the jump seat covers and they didnt smell at all. God I hate the rodent smell. I'm not sure right now, but I would like to chronicle the installation of the stereo, carpeting, sound-proofing, engine/tranny swap, new rims and tires, suspension, etc., etc. in here. Just not sure where all to post it. Thanks for your help, guys. I'll probably be asking for more along the way.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
2daks
Professional

Two thoughts..... replace the heater core since you have it tore out. This is a bear of a job and the works done already with everything tore out. I bought a replacement core for 40 bucks.
Second have you removed the headliner? Smell could be coming from there too.
If all the material items are out I'd bleach and scrub it down real good like you did then prep and paint everything with a good sealer or even a truck bed type sealer like all the jeep guys use. Just get something that will not be too thick under the carpeting. Rustoleum and Herculiner are a few brush on types.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of rat smell.