2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM
buswolley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation problem

My truck is a 2002, 4 cylinder, manual, quad cab, 175 thousand miles.

I would say my truck hesitates in first gear and sometimes in second, but that would be an understatement. When I start out from a dead stop in first it feels like I am in the wrong gear all together. Sometime the truck adjusts quickly, sometime I have to go out of first and back in, and sometimes it is not happy and just takes its own time to decide to go. The kicker is that it does not happen all the time. I would say it is a 50/50 thing. I have been driving a manual for a very long time, so I am ruling out driver error.

I have been told it is not a transmission problem or a clutch problem (but personally I have not ruled those possibilities out.) It has been suggested that perhaps the computer is not giving the fuel system the right information therefore the truck is not receiving the right amount of fuel to go. I have to get the emissions system fixed, but have been told that that could not be the problem either. A full diagnostics on the computer was run last week. The only problem that came up was the emissions.

I have had the clutch replaced a year ago, from an 11 inch to a 12, because the mechanic could not find a 11 inch. He said that it would not make a difference.

The truck has been totaled for hail damage, so I need to decide, keep it as salvage or give it to the insurance company. It has a great engine (given a thumbs up last week.) I am afraid whatever is going on with the hesitation will cost more than the truck is worth, but I have no clue. And no one seems to give me a good answer. I don't have the luxury to wait until the truck falls apart and then get rid of it. I have to make a choice now. Anyone out there have a thought? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldnt spend any more money on a 4cycl.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Total it and get ur money then go get a newer Dakota

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
NickCornell
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup^^

Quick Reply: hesitation problem