2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Dipstick Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
tomgraz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Dipstick Tube

I'm getting a pretty good drip from what looks like my transmission dipstick tube. Any tips on getting that guy out and changing the gasket/o-ring on it? Is there a bolt holding it in place that can be reached from the bottom?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
tomgraz
Amateur

It turns out that we couldn't get the tube out without dropping the transmission. After removing the 2 regular bolts and the plastic clip retainer, the tube would only come out about an inch. We removed the o-ring and laid a bead of RTV around the tube where it goes into the transmission. The tube was put back in place. The RTV was allowed to dry before refilling the fluid. This time we filled it to the correct level - bottom line with the truck running and the transmission in neutral.

The fluid should not have leaked from the dipstick tube if the level was correct. About 1.5" of the tube can be seen when the pan is off. And another 1" of the stick can be seen below that. I was putting too much fluid in and it was leaking out where it should never have reached.

However.. As was explained to me: Over time, water could infiltrate the transmission by seeping in through the cracks of the deteriorated o-ring. I will embrace that and chalk all my aggravation with this project up to something obscure that needed to be done anyway.

The other part of "we" is a neighbor that turned out to be a good one. He's a mechanic that seems to know his trade pretty well.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Jazua139
Default dipstick tube location

I can not find a transmission dipstick tube replacement for my 1999 dodge ram 1500. I was wondering where you were able to purchase your replacement part. Thank y'all for any help.

Old 09-02-2023, 01:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazua139
I can not find a transmission dipstick tube replacement for my 1999 dodge ram 1500. I was wondering where you were able to purchase your replacement part. Thank y'all for any help.
Sounds like OP didn't replace it, just sealed it and reinstalled. Besides, he hasn't posted here in over ten years. You didn't post your engine but see if any of these work. If not, junkyard might be a good option. https://www.google.com/search?q=1999...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quick Reply: Transmission Dipstick Tube