2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

left side speakers dont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
kunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left side speakers dont work

I have a 1999 dodge dakota, it has the all stock 4 speaker system with cassette. Nothing fancy all stock 1999. Up until yesterday all four speakers worked well. Today, only the right (passenger side) speakers work. Nothing from front left or rear left, but fine on right front and right rear.

I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows 4 fuses, I can only find the one in the fuse box.

I open the the drivers door and removed the speaker, the speaker works ok when connected to a different vehicle.

can anyone provide some troubleshooting help?

Thanks,

karl

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the radio turns on and lights up it has power, so the fuses will not be the problem. You either have one of the left side speaker wires shorted to ground or the radio has a bad left channel output. You need to remove the radio and check all 4 left side speaker wires for continuity to ground. If no short is found, chances are the radio has an internal problem on the left channels. I think it would mute the left and right channels if there is a shorted speaker wire so my guess is you have a bad radio. A good independent car audio shop can bench test the radio to be sure. It might cost less to just buy a good aftermarket radio/cd player than it would to repair the factory radio or buy another factory radio for your truck.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 07-25-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: left side speakers dont work