2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

axle shaft question 8.25 rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 AM
lilman316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle shaft question 8.25 rear end.

Hello, I've been trying to get my truck running for some time now, and just need to replace the right side (passenger) axle shaft in the rear end. I ordered one off of ebay, and when I went to put it in the axle was about 4 inches too long. The person I got it from swears it's the right axle for my truck, but I don't see how it can be that much longer and be the right one. My wife laid the truck on its side this winter and it's been a hard road trying to find an axle shaft for my rear end, and when I finally think I got one its longer than the one in my truck. The axle shaft I have is 40 1/4 inches long and the new one is right around 44 inches That's measuring from the outside edge of the plate to the end of the shaft. Do the 8.25 axle shafts measure 44 inches, and mine just bent that much, or did I get to long of an axle. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall if this was the case when I had my shafts out but it is common for the shafts to be different lengths from side to side. Is that's what's going on here and you were given the axle for the opposite side?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I don't recall if this was the case when I had my shafts out but it is common for the shafts to be different lengths from side to side. Is that's what's going on here and you were given the axle for the opposite side?
That's precisely what I'm thinking.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
lilman316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was also what i was thinking. I just wanted to check here for another opinion. Hopefully the place I ordered just pulled the wrong stock number and have an axle shaft. If not it's back to the search. Thanks for replies guys.

Quick Reply: axle shaft question 8.25 rear end.