2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Options for new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Doom4life
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Options for new transmission

So my 45rfe (5-45rfe TCM) is pretty much dead just shy of 120,000 miles. Started off with me noticing it would jump a few RPMs before downshifting into second gear and a few blocks later it through a generic transmission code. Over the weekend, the transmission went into limp mode when warm and started slipping really bad when upshifting into third gear. Finally, it took a dump when it slipped in third going up a hill and birned up the clutch resulting in the loss of third (with bad slipping in second now).

I have two options:
1.) Get a remanufactured 45rfe from YamatoPW that comes with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty and throw a TransGo shift kit into it which would void the warranty.
2.) Get a Road Ripper from Certified Transmission (www.certifiedtransmission.com/products-roadripper1000.asp). Apparently it is a more heavier duty transmission, they add more clutches, up the line pressure among a few other things. Comes with a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty.

The difference between the two transmissions is $600. Is the extra costs for a (seemingly) heavier duty built transmission worth it? I drive my truck with a lead foot and enjoy fast accelerations as much as I can so I do beat on my transmission (but NO neutral drops).

Quick Reply: Options for new transmission