2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 AM
99-318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

About 3 months back, I replaced my heater core. But before that I put 2 bottles of stop leak stuff in there, At different times, It worked for a bit then blew through, So I put the second bottle in. After that one blew through I decided it was time to change the heater core.

Last month I the hose inbetween water pump and intake I think, It split apart from one end to the other, Most likely because it was way overheated. Just yesterday I notice my temp guage go way up then drop back down to normal after a few minutes of driving. I go to friends place close by and shut it down, wait 5 minutes then didnt want to wait no more so slowly backed off the cap, It was like foamy on the top, not really milky or oil like. Like it really foamy. I put water in the top of rad till no more foam came out, let it run a few minutes, Then I got home poped the cap off and filled it with water to top, let it run till I seen no more air bubbles come out, filled with water again, put cap on and been driving it today, now it appears my water pump is leaking, I got a 16 psi rad cap, that seems really high or is it not? Thermostat was replaced 3 months ago same time as heater core, what do you guys think?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM
ritualjman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you ran the 2 bottles of stop leak threw, it might of damaged the gasket on the water pump if that's where it is leaking from. Also from the truck running as hot as it has been, it might have screwed your water pump. I am from Kingston, Ontario, Canada, I have family in Ottawa. That's a 2 hour drive away, my temp gauge would max out and my check gauges light came on, but yet no smoke or nothing. Then it would go back to normal, once i got back to Kingston the next day I did a Rad Flush and I was shocked and the crap that came out of my cooling system. I hope this info helped you out.

RitualJman

Quick Reply: overheating